Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone know anything about staple guns?

Gilliangirl

Okay, I bought a staple gun to staple some new fabric on my chairs for the music room. There's a symbol on the gun but nowhere in the instructions can i find an explanation of what the symbol means? (see the pic... the symbol right next to the Made In USA print. It has a plus and a minus sign but makes no difference when I staple?) Also, aren't the staples supposed to close, like they do on paper? What good does it do them to remain open? They would just fall out? I stapled a box and the staple just goes in but doesn't close??

IMG_1415.jpg

Also, aren't the staples supposed to close, like they do on paper? What good does it do them to remain open? They would just fall out? I stapled a box and the staple just goes in but doesn't close??

I can't tell you about the sign, but no they're not supposed to close, these aren't the kind of staples used in schools, do nails close? yet they still hold things.

While under and still on the table at the hospital, I heard the surgen asking the nurse the same questions.......

I haven't been the same since..........:unsure: [crying][scared] ....

While under and still on the table at the hospital, I heard the surgen asking the nurse the same questions.......

I haven't been the same since..........:unsure: [crying][scared] ....

OMG Damian! I'm afraid to ask.... what got stapled? [scared]

That's just asking for trouble! [biggrin]

I remember the first time my father, who layed carpet for a living, wanted me to hold one and shoot a staple at my hand from about a foot or two away. I was surprised to see my hand uninjured.

Seam Irons BURN!!!

And did you suture yourself or did everything just drop out (or off)? [biggrin]

High E strings and duck tape.......Might explain why I'm high strung and quack every so often Karen...[crying] :unsure: [scared]:-k :-k ...

Hmmm, might also explain why I " Tuned in and Dropped out. " [lol] ..

Um in all seriousness It should be a depth adjuster. so you can use it on cables without squashing the cable. At least thats what it does on my one.oh and yes they dont close it goes in vertical and the force of the nail against the base material holds in place.

Um in all seriousness It should be a depth adjuster. so you can use it on cables without squashing the cable. At least thats what it does on my one.oh and yes they dont close it goes in vertical and the force of the nail against the base material holds in place.

Aha! Yes, that must be it. Good to know. You'd think that would be explained in the instructions, but no! [confused]

Thanks Enmity

Yep power adjust for how hard the staples are driven in - and harder isn't always better test your material and make sure the staple is not cutting through the fabric. Welcome to the world of almost power tools next you need a air powered nail gun then you can really do some damage.

My toupee kept blowing off, so I used a staple gun to keep it in place. I don't think the staples closed. Hold on... let me check... nope, they're still open...

Anybody seen what I did with that staple gun?...

All kidding aside, my staple gun dates to the mid 1970s... so... no such control.

But the guys make the pressure control idea make sense.

And yeah, on a lot of projects, depending on the length of the "legs," the staple gun basically is like little tacks but in ways holds better.

m

The + - symbols refer to the lever just above them. Sliding the lever to the left (in the direction of the +) increases the impact of the internal hammer. Sliding to the right is the lighter setting. Use heavier setting for harder materials. Judging from the oak your staple gun is lying on, use the heavier setting. If the staple indents into the stapled surface too far, set to the light setting. You really got to push hard at the plus setting on hard woods to keep the stapler from rebounding and getting shallow set staples. If the staples drive shallow, but are firmly stuck,use shorter legged staples.

No, a stapler of this type doesn't bend the legs of the staples like a desk stapler. The staples just drive into the wood like nails, two nails actually.

Good luck with your project Karen.

Archived