Gibson Brands Forums

Half-Cocked Wah

guitarmanjt

I've heard a few things about some classic rock artists using a half-cocked wah to get some of their tones. I've tried recreating some of this using a Dunlop Crybaby, but I've had little success. The tone I am most after is Led Zeppelin Live like this:

I'm also interested in getting a tone like Boston. Does anybody have any tips for getting a half-cocked sound or getting these tones?

Friends don't let friends use The Half Cocked Wah Sound. Stop The Half Cocked Wah Sound Madness. DARE to not use the Half Cocked Wah Sound.

Betts had a brief period there mid-late 90's using the half cocked wah. HATED that sound I did, I really truly did.

rct

I've heard a few things about some classic rock artists using a half-cocked wah to get some of their tones. I've tried recreating some of this using a Dunlop Crybaby, but I've had little success. The tone I am most after is Led Zeppelin Live like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tlSx0jkuLM

I'm also interested in getting a tone like Boston. Does anybody have any tips for getting a half-cocked sound or getting these tones?

Its not always half cocked, you would have to experiment with the position of the pedal and of course the inductor in the Wah will make a total difference. I believe Page used a Vox V846 which is the V847 now I believe; however as far as I know he did not use a cocked Wah in Black Dog. The song was overdubbed with 4 guitar tracks, and of course uses some fuzz or similar distortion and then the built in coil tapping and phase inverter of his guitar. I could VERY well be wrong here though.

Hang on. Cocking your wah? Easing your pedal into the sweet spot. This has all gone very My Ding-a-Ling...

Ease that cocked wah into the sweet spot and listen to her scream.

Now its really full on innuendo!

I was reading somewhere else to try a little Chorus as it might help fill in the sound.

Ease that cocked wah into the sweet spot and listen to her scream.

Now its really full on innuendo!

I was reading somewhere else to try a little Chorus as it might help fill in the sound.

Sounds better through a nice pair of 12 inchers though.

Mastering the half cocked wah takes some practice. The first clue is that it's not really a set and forget type of thing. If you're playing int he first position you have to find that place on your wah that sounds best for that position on the neck. If you suddenly jump up to the 12th fret then you will need top adjust your pedal to that position. If you listen closely you can hear Page doing it on that clip. I'm a bit biased but to me the master of the half cocked wah is Michael Schenker. Listen to the lead breaks in this track and you'll hear what I'm talking about and he does use a Boss Chorus to set his wah off a bit these days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lovbv1bUfaE&feature=related

Mastering the half cocked wah takes some practice. The first clue is that it's not really a set and forget type of thing. If you're playing int he first position you have to find that place on your wah that sounds best for that position on the neck. If you suddenly jump up to the 12th fret then you will need top adjust your pedal to that position. If you listen closely you can hear Page doing it on that clip. I'm a bit biased but to me the master of the half cocked wah is Michael Schenker. Listen to the lead breaks in this track and you'll hear what I'm talking about and he does use a Boss Chorus to set his wah off a bit these days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lovbv1bUfaE&feature=related

Damn again I was thinking Schenker as soon as I read the title but I was thinking of this one.

By the way to the OP

The Half Wah sound seems to work best with a purely tube preamp and I would recommend the Crybaby 535Q It gives you a lot more control over the frequency sweep and position so you can really dial it in.

Rock Bottom's main riff is like impossible for me. [blush]

Funny I was just playing it earlier. Get a copy of Amazing Slowdowner or something similar and slow it down a bit and you will get it....

I get that live Page sound (also the Lemon Song tone) by depressing the wah all the way down and putting my LP in the middle p/u selector position. Give it a try.

Mick Ronson also was one to use a Crybaby in a set position. During the Spiders from Mars era he played a Custom through the Crybaby and a Tone Bender that had supposedly once belonged Pete Townshend into a Marshall, and his tone is pretty much the same through his solo records so I suspect he never strayed from that set up very much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIZyiyQpm4I

I get that live Page sound (also the Lemon Song tone) by depressing the wah all the way down and putting my LP in the middle p/u selector position. Give it a try.

That's how I get close, but I always figured it was too harsh for something he would use...maybe it also lies in the amp EQ...

Archived