Gibson Brands Forums

Luthiers Choice AJ 20th Ann.

slimt

Hi... Got a few questions on the Luthiers Choice AJs 20th ann.....

are they Brazilian or Madagascar? also.. Luthiers choice of 20. is that 20 total of the model? also...

do they come with certificates? or just a Label in the sound hole?

the bid question... $$$$$ what is a good price to pay? ...

I guess my other question... are these a Custom Shop? if so... why are the Braces so rough?

Thanks....

Hi... Got a few questions on the Luthiers Choice AJs 20th ann.....

are they Brazilian or Madagascar? also.. Luthiers choice of 20. is that 20 total of the model? also...

do they come with certificates? or just a Label in the sound hole?

the bid question... $$$$$ what is a good price to pay? ...

I guess my other question... are these a Custom Shop? if so... why are the Braces so rough?

Madagascar; 20 total; CoA included; what counts as a good price is up to you -- it's a collector's item, especially since Gibson doesn't build with Madagascar anymore -- but the list was indeed pretty high; there is no Custom Shop; the braces are rough because Ren Ferguson thinks rough braces make the guitar sound better.

-- Bob R

Madagascar; 20 total; CoA included; what counts as a good price is up to you -- it's a collector's item, especially since Gibson doesn't build with Madagascar anymore -- but the list was indeed pretty high; there is no Custom Shop; the braces are rough because Ren Ferguson thinks rough braces make the guitar sound better.

-- Bob R

Thanks Jaun.. I understand about the Brazilian..

and thanks RAR..

So these went through like all the others go through in the Factory..?

Rar.. do you work in Bozeman?

So these went through like all the others go through in the Factory..?

It's possible that Ren (or Val or Jason) did some work on them, but they were built largely out on the floor. This has been true of nearly every guitar built in Bozeman since the closing of the Custom Shop in the early '00s. This is actually a Good Thing, since most of the folks on the line are very experienced at what they do, and, as a result, they do it very well. To quote Ren's favorite example, why should he ever bend a rib again when he has someone working the line who, thanks to expertise derived from bending thousands of rib sets, can do it better?

Rar.. do you work in Bozeman?

Well, I did get to spray a 'burst once -- on a guitar that was destined for the scrap heap -- under the direction of the legendary Van "King of the Sunburst" Feldner himself.

But, no, I don't work there. I just visit frequently and ask a lot of questions.

-- Bob R

Thanks RAR..

I do miss the Custom shop quality though... Ive had a few made way back when... they were out standing.. and pretty much what a Highend Gibson Acoustic should be for the Money spent......

and I do believe that the Custom shops were a Tighter fit and detailed...

as for the AJ Ann. I played one today... Looked at the over all Structure and finish, playability.... It was pretty Nice...

It had lots of ring... But it seemed to be lacking something... I couldnt pinpoint it... maybe the Snap and Boom the AJs are known for....

and at 4800.00 you would think it would have all of that...

and at 4800.00 you would think it would have all of that...

Well, the the "1 of 20" and the price pretty strongly suggests that the intended market for the 20th Anniversary models is collectors. Maybe the Madagascar rosewood is the issue. I have played lots of EIRW AJs (not to mention maple AJs and, unsurprisingly, Brazilian AJs) which I like better than any of the Madagascar AJs I've run across. (I'm not sure why. I've nothing against Madagascar in general -- I own two truly great Madagascar guitars. That's just been my experience with the handful of Madagascar AJs I've played.) But the use of Madagascar definitely makes it more collectible, so I'm sure using Madagascar was the right decision to satisfy the intended market.

-- Bob R

Archived