Gibson Brands Forums

Is it Plekked?

Kineman Karma

Hey,

Gibson website confirms that the Nut is PLEK'ed, which would lead me to beleive that the frets are too

Hello! I have a 50's Tribute, not the 60's. According to the specs the nut is PLEK'd. But in reality I doubt that it was, otherwise why did my strings kept on getting stuck while tuning? Neither the frets were filed (or PLEK'D). Had to take it to a luthier to file the slots of the nut and the frets...Just wondering...Anyone on behalf of Gibson can say something about it?

thats not right, definately was not PLEK'ed then. My traditional is PLEK'ed nicely and I have had guitars PLEK'ed in the past by my luthier. its a whole different guitar wouldnt be having issues like you said.

I'm sure Gibson has a queue of guitars waiting for their PLEK machine (or two) and some guitars decide to take a shortcut.

Did yours come with the PLEK sticker on the pickup?

I'm sure they'd have advertised that the frets are Plekked if they were.

BTW, Is there any point in plekking a brand new guitar in the factory when the neck will most likely need to settle and reacclimatise to its new home in the world?

Just a thought.....

Hello Angellus! No, there was no sticker on it, but maybe just because it wouldn't fit on a P-90 pickup. As You've seen too, the specs on the Gibson site states that the nut is PLEK'd. To be honest, since it is a very nice guitar, and the luthier did a very nice job (not to mention that I've waited 8 months for the arrival of the guitar) I don't mind if it wasn't PLEK'd. It's just a bit annoying that such a huge name like Gibson does so many fails...In such a big competition they should be paying much more attention to uphold their reputation.

Hello Angellus! No, there was no sticker on it, but maybe just because it wouldn't fit on a P-90 pickup. As You've seen too, the specs on the Gibson site states that the nut is PLEK'd. To be honest, since it is a very nice guitar, and the luthier did a very nice job (not to mention that I've waited 8 months for the arrival of the guitar) I don't mind if it wasn't PLEK'd. It's just a bit annoying that such a huge name like Gibson does so many fails...In such a big competition they should be paying much more attention to uphold their reputation.

agreed, and I agree Kineman too, PLEK set ups for the frets at least are a great thing to do after you've had the guitar for awhile and its settled.

PLEK after all is a machine accurate cutting tool. Some of my fellow guitarists here in London actually prefer Gibson not to try to accurately set up the guitar and leave the nut slots high so they can set them up to their own playing style. To be fair if you spent the £'s or $'s for a USA made Gibson then what is it to get it professionally set up to your playing style and needs?

But if Gibson says they use PLEK then the nuts should be accurate at least

Traditional- plekked

Tribute- not plekked.

IMO Gibson uses the plek system as a marketing tool.

In this year, I've bought both- I really can't tell any difference, and actually, the non-plekked played nicer out of the box than the plekked one. I really don't think they use the plek thing it as it was originally designed to be used.

Archived