Gibson Brands Forums

What's my 1968 Dove Worth?

DenverJim

Hi. I bought this guitar with the original hardshell case in 1978 in a pawn shop in Lubbock Texas for $50. The finish was cracked and the wood had some splitting under the 1st and 6th string from under the bridge to the bottom of the front body (can feel it but cannot see any gaps). I really never developed a talent for playing it and it's been stored inside the case in my house since then and it's pretty much in the same shape as it bought it. I gave it to my 14yo son this past Jan as he wanted to learn how to play and has been taking it to his weekly lessons with his teacher. His teacher is very impressed with the guitar and the sound, so based on that opinion I am assuming it's a guitar that is worth something. My son is going to start traveling and wants to take it with him so i wanted to insure it for loss, theft, and damage.

Based on the serial number of 910726 (which I can barely make out) and using the guide from Gibson, it's a 1968 model. Various offers, auctions, and advertisements, I've seen others sell for $2000-$3500. I am assuming that this guitar is probably on the lower end of that scale since it's not in pristine condition. Would that be a fair assessment? Thanks for your help.

post-34477-005431400 1310740946_thumb.jpg

post-34477-011697800 1310740957_thumb.jpg

post-34477-015767200 1310741023_thumb.jpg

post-34477-034752200 1310741032_thumb.jpg

From the pics that guitar looks ot be in pretty good shape.

What you can pull on a guitar depends on which market you are in. Round here say a '68 Hummingbird in nice condition will run you less than $3000. But in another market that may be a $4500+ guitar. Particularly with the market being so finicky these days, it seems the best way to guage what folks will pay is to look at something like completed auctions on eBay.

It certainly looks like @ 1968.

Like, ZW, it looks to be in pretty good shape to me too.

The Dove is normally worth less than the same year/condition Hummingbird, (even though it cost more new).

If it plays well, sounds good, nothing ugly with the neck/bridge/keys/bracing, I suspect it would sell for $2K.

My Dove is a '79. It's in good shape, (not perfect, as it's a player), and I'd think it's worth about $1500...your a little more.

Nice guitar, your son should be able do well with it.

(then again....I'm no expert!)

Hi. I bought this guitar with the original hardshell case in 1978 in a pawn shop in Lubbock Texas for $50. The finish was cracked and the wood had some splitting under the 1st and 6th string from under the bridge to the bottom of the front body (can feel it but cannot see any gaps). I really never developed a talent for playing it and it's been stored inside the case in my house since then and it's pretty much in the same shape as it bought it. I gave it to my 14yo son this past Jan as he wanted to learn how to play and has been taking it to his weekly lessons with his teacher. His teacher is very impressed with the guitar and the sound, so based on that opinion I am assuming it's a guitar that is worth something. My son is going to start traveling and wants to take it with him so i wanted to insure it for loss, theft, and damage.

Based on the serial number of 910726 (which I can barely make out) and using the guide from Gibson, it's a 1968 model. Various offers, auctions, and advertisements, I've seen others sell for $2000-$3500. I am assuming that this guitar is probably on the lower end of that scale since it's not in pristine condition. Would that be a fair assessment? Thanks for your help.

My Vintage Guide 2011 says a '68 Dove in excellent condition would be between $2600 and $3200.

A couple things stand out to me! Nice-looking guitar BTY! The extra pearl dots at the corners of the pickguard do not look original. As well, the West German tuners do not look original to a '68 as far as my memory serves me. I have not checked the serial # to the date, but basically it looks very nice. I would insure for $3000 if the little bugger insists on carrying it around. If he were my kid though...he'd be going down the road with a newer Epiphone or other such guitar until proven stable and reliable. Or else, it could end up in a freakin' Pawn Shop again!! [sneaky]

A couple things stand out to me! Nice-looking guitar BTY! The extra pearl dots at the corners of the pickguard do not look original. As well, the West German tuners do not look original to a '68 as far as my memory serves me. I have not checked the serial # to the date, but basically it looks very nice. I would insure for $3000 if the little bugger insists on carrying it around. If he were my kid though...he'd be going down the road with a newer Epiphone or other such guitar until proven stable and reliable. Or else, it could end up in a freakin' Pawn Shop again!! [sneaky]

I've seen those tuners on other Gibsons, but I don't know the years. The extra dots on the pickguard cover screws. I thought there was a period of time when Gibson added screws to the pickguard.

Right on Rob. I believe the '68-'69 period had the screwed down guards. Used to just seeing the screws though personally. Those pearl dots are rather 'distracting' to my taste.

Still, a nice looking box [thumbup]

Right on Rob. I believe the '68-'69 period had the screwed down guards. Used to just seeing the screws though personally. Those pearl dots are rather 'distracting' to my taste.

Still, a nice looking box [thumbup]

Rod, you're right.... it is a beautiful axe, (but then you know I'm a "Dove-guy" anyway!)

Many many thanks for everyone's input. Whether it's a 68 or not is not really important as I'm interested in it's value, but it would be nice to know from a personal curiosity perspective. I'll insure it for $3000. If my insurance company insists on a professional appraisal, then I'm sure there's someone competent in the Denver area with all the great local musicians we have to perform the appraisal. I'll post what year the appraiser sets it at if I end up getting it appraised. I did read on the Gibson serial number guide that during the late 60s and early 70s, the serial numbering wasn't following any set pattern. It just said that for serial number 910726 was from 1968. I agree it's a beautiful guitar and sounds really sweet. It will only get better with age. I have told him he cannot ever sell it without my permission. He's a good kid and really responsible. Again, thanks for all your input.

The Vintage Price Guide works well if you are George Gruhn or something. Most of the small shops I know though can't afford to sit on a guitar for months or years waiting for it to sell will initially knock at least 30% off that price.

Agreed. The Vintage Guide is just that; a guide. You have to consider those prices to be for guitar in excellent to mint shape and take all the prices with a 20-30% grain of salt. Some of the prices are insane. They have a 1980 Rickenbacker 320 valued at $10,000. Not likely.

[smile]

Many many thanks for everyone's input. Whether it's a 68 or not is not really important as I'm interested in it's value, but it would be nice to know from a personal curiosity perspective. I'll insure it for $3000. If my insurance company insists on a professional appraisal, then I'm sure there's someone competent in the Denver area with all the great local musicians we have to perform the appraisal. I'll post what year the appraiser sets it at if I end up getting it appraised. I did read on the Gibson serial number guide that during the late 60s and early 70s, the serial numbering wasn't following any set pattern. It just said that for serial number 910726 was from 1968. I agree it's a beautiful guitar and sounds really sweet. It will only get better with age. I have told him he cannot ever sell it without my permission. He's a good kid and really responsible. Again, thanks for all your input.

Right on! Does the guitar have a volute(raised peak where the neck meets the headstock....on the backside) I don,t remember seeing a pic of that area. That would confirm that it was later than a '68....Jes Sayin'..... The date of manufacture is very important to the value. I mean, I could have an Alverez Yairi from '79 that I say sounds awesome...but it ain,t worth $500 to an insurance agent. I suppose you could insure it for a gazillion bucks if you want to pay the premium. I have never been big on insuring my guitars....but then again...I am in control. And I have some nice guitars and am a responsible adult,with a gun. [smile]

Probably a bit less if the tip of that pick guard snaps off. Might want to re-think your pick stowage. Where it is now is exerting a serious amount of stress near the screw hole. So far it's held, but for how much longer?

Beautiful looking axe though.

Right on! As far as that pick is jammed up there....I don,t believe a screw is there????

And also...I think the pick is more "distracting" than the pearl dots [glare]

And yeah...me too...Nice-looking git!

R-Rod...like you, the pic bothered me too.

I would NEVER jam a pic under the pickguard on any of my guitars.

Maybe the screw under the pearl dot is loose?

Archived