Gibson Brands Forums

SG 62 Reissue bridge

wayhoe

Hey how's everyone doing? I wanted to see if I could get some information on which side of the bridge the screws are supposed to be.

I might have had several brews when I was doing some "servicing" to my beloved SG and I'm not sure if I put the bridge back on correctly...Yes shame on me. I've been looking at SG photos online and I've seem them installed with screws on both sides, so that was no help.

Hey how's everyone doing? I wanted to see if I could get some information on which side of the bridge the screws are supposed to be.

I might have had several brews when I was doing some "servicing" to my beloved SG and I'm not sure if I put the bridge back on correctly...Yes shame on me. I've been looking at SG photos online and I've seem them installed with screws on both sides, so that was no help.

The rule of thumb with SGs is screws to the rear. It is a little difficult to adjust them facing toward the mounting ring. Also, the groove cut in the saddle will be wider for the wound strings. Check out the pics on Gibson.com. They are shown facing toward the tailpiece.

Sneakerpimp,

Those look like Nashville bridges.... the ABR-1 has a retainer clip and says ABR-1 on the bottom.

If you look hard you can see the retainer clip going around the outside of both outer screws on my ABR-1 bridge.

2002SG005.jpg

the ABR-1 has a retainer clip and says ABR-1 on the bottom.

That's not the best way to determine what the bridge is because not all ABRs have a retaining wire. All 2009 & newer Gibsons w/ABRs don't have that wire. Look at the posts - ABR's go directly into the wood. Nashville's have bushings.

Having said that, you can also buy aftermarket ABRs that fit on Nashville posts.

Thanks guys, that was very helpful. My bridge on the '86 is an ABR-1 and the screws face the pickup.

I ended up digging through a box full of photos and found an old photo of my SG, I used a magnifying glass and

could clearly see how the bridge had been installed. I did learn that the Nashville bridge has an insert on the body

and the ABR-1 doesn't, I could see the insert on some of the submitted phots.

Archived