Gibson Brands Forums

is this a real les paul?

drjoeshmoe

Sorry...but these are the only photos I have to work with.

Serial puts this at a 1999...not sure how someone could have abused this guitar that much.

Said to need wiring work, needs nut, missing one tuning button.

Is it possible to spot a fake with these photos?

I have a chance to buy at $200.

gibson1.jpg

gibson2.jpg

gibson3.jpg

I've seen headstock finish problems like that one posted on these forums before.

Those are dreadful photos and the only thing I can point to is the small block inlays are from the Norlin era which ways quite a ways before 1999. Unless this was some kind of special run or reissue . . . but you can't see much in those photos.

I've seen headstock finish problems like that one posted on these forums before.

Those are dreadful photos and the only thing I can point to is the small block inlays are from the Norlin era which ways quite a ways before 1999. Unless this was some kind of special run or reissue . . . but you can't see much in those photos.

Here is an ebay ended auction I found for a 1999 with these small inlays...they didn't get much cash.

My link

Here is an ebay ended auction I found for a 1999 with these small inlays...they didn't get much cash.

My link

Ahhh . . . . This could be the original configuration of the guitar in your original post and then someone tried to mod for humbuckers and never finished the project. Specials usually have dots . . . leave it to Gibson to change things up once in a while.

That fleaBay auction -

$(KGrHqEOKjUE3)w8R)59BODmt4(ukQ~~_3.JPG

Ahhh . . . . This could be the original configuration of the guitar in your original post and then someone tried to mod for humbuckers and never finished the project. Specials usually have dots . . . leave it to Gibson to change things up once in a while.

That fleaBay auction -

$(KGrHqEOKjUE3)w8R)59BODmt4(ukQ~~_3.JPG

Anyone think $200 would be a good price? If I sold for parts could I stand to make some profit?

I don't think it's worth much of anything. If it has a good straight neck it might be worth a hundred bucks. You might get $50-100 for all the parts, depending on what pickups it has.

thanks for the help everyone.

I am glad I passed on it.

hhhhhmmm i would have wanted to see it first to check its overall condition but i would have brought it for a project. never worth selling of the parts you never get much for them and as for the headstock design i have seen a few like that unfortunately.

Gibson made the Les Paul Studio cheaper in the late 90's, early 2000's!

The fret board inlays were smaller, the head stock was smaller with

Grover Tuners. The body was even a bit thinner! I guess Gibson was

trying to save money? I owned one of these in ebony. It was not a bad

guitar, but it was not the usual Les Paul we all know!

Archived