Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson ES - 335 Cherry Figured Top

Kineman Karma

G'day all,

Well I have good news but also a concern.

The other day my ES-335 arrived at the store.

After unboxing it, I noticed that the pickguard did not have the protective film and gibson sticker on it.

After closely inspecting the instrument, I only found sheer beauty and no finish faults whatsoever!!

I have already asked my GC contact to make enq's as to it's history prior to my purchase because as I stated, I wanted a new one straight out of the box, not a returned one then put into a box.

my question is : Has this instrument been returned from another store to the warehouse prior to them sending it to my GC for my purchase?

I just might do that my friend if I don't hear back from my GC.

The pickguard did not have any pic scratches on it when I inspected the instrument.

I wonder if GIBSON has stopped putting the plastic film over the guard from the factory these days.

When I recently purchased my Les Paul 60's Tribute Gold Top, that didn't have a pickguard film on it either?

You can usually tell if the Gibson box has been previously opened by inspecting the staples and making sure that they are intact. If the staples don't look right or if there's tape or something on the box, then it might have been opened and resealed. If the box has already opened before you got the guitar, you should be able to tell if it was resealed at some point.

The guitar would appear to have passed personal inspection

So there is a school of thought which would suggest

Enjoy !!

V

:-({|=

Yes I agree with Versatile. Being brand new out of the box doesn't guarantee a great guitar. Brand new guitars can have a range of real flaws. So if this is unblemished and you love it - why worry!!

A few weeks ago, I played several new ES335s from a reputable dealer.

All of them had the covering and sticker removed from the pickguard. (maybe the ship this way from the factory now?).

In the end, I came home with a spectacular 2011 335 Dot.

33511001.jpg

Thanks Guy's, yeah all points taken onboard and agreed that it has to be touched by someone along the line.

The finish from what I saw is flawless.

I pick it up in a couple of weeks, so I will post heaps of pic's.

Thanks Again. [biggrin]

dogspart2 you are making me [drool][drool][drool][drool]

My factory new ES335 came from Musician's Friend without the platic covering or sticker on the pickguard. I know it was not a return becauase the warranty card indicated that it had been made only two weeks before I received it.

My factory new ES335 came from Musician's Friend without the platic covering or sticker on the pickguard. I know it was not a return becauase the warranty card indicated that it had been made only two weeks before I received it.

And Ditto that for me as well. My 339 came without covering or sticker right out of the box but mine was finished, or cleared for shipment After my order date. So, that rules out a return as well.

Mine didn't have it either and it was so new it didn't smell like the finish

was dry....and it wasn't,

It still had wood shaving falling out of it and the black paint on the inside

of the F hole came off on my fingers

No worries I am sure its fine.

Part of the dealer agreement is that they inspect each guitar they sell, so the box should have been opened before you got it. They SHOULD open each box and inspect the guitar for shipping damage or problems before they sell it to avoid the customer returning it and causing a bad feeling. I would be more worried about a box that had not been opened as the dealer was not doing his job, unless you specifically requested an unopened box. As far as the plastic on the pickguard, most are shipping without it if it. We all want them new looking and not scratched or damaged and that is up to the dealer to check before the customer gets it. If you ordered from an internet or mail-order place, the box should be resealed or some places put that original box in a new box to ship it.

Thank you CR9 very much appreciated.

Well this is the most expensive guitar purchase of my life. I was also reminded of that when my mother who knows nothing about guitars commented on viewing it saying "Is that a Custom Thingy" I laughed and said to her "What makes you say that" she replied "I can tell it is very expensive, because it looks classy".. At that moment I suddenly felt really special [biggrin]

My wife whom was also present during the conversation just rolled her eyes and walked out of the room.

Mum just giggled and said to me, "Son, that's what happens when you bring another girlfriend home"

My lovely mother may not know much about guitars, but she certainly knows of my love for them.

Thanks Again GIBSON!!

oh; my DOTTY is brand new because when it arrived from the warehouse to the GC I told my GC not to open the box. When I picked it up the box was intact.

Upon opening the case, the NITRO nearly knocked me out. Thank GOD for GIBSON [thumbup]

Nice simple rig I like it, mine is about the same

You might want to invest in a better stand, the one you are using is

not Nitro friendly and will ruin your finish

Congrats

Thank you kindly sir, yes I will definately use my nitro friendly stand in future. looks like that one is for the poly..

That's cool man, I'm very excited just got myself 1999 Es335 dot reissue figured top cherry with a brown/pink case. Real nice condition hardly a scratch on her, i feel lucky as their hard to find in uk. I'll post a pic soon

Archived