Gibson Brands Forums

Jimmy Page/Zeppelin Religion

ClassicRocker23

Where these guys satanic or not? Im tired of hearing rumors... Was jimmy satanic? If so what about Robert, JPJ, and John? Thanks...

I just so happen to be reading a biography on Jimmy Page. He was not satanic although he was very interested in the occult. Aleister Crowley has always been one of his idols. He was a very strange man and also had major ties to the occult:

http://en.wikipedia....leister_Crowley

All of the band members symbols symbols.gif are supposedly occult symbols.

Quoted from the Jimmy Page Wikipedia Page:

Interest in the occult

220px-Zoso_Jimmy_Page_Saturn_sigil.svg.png
magnify-clip.pngA derivative of Page's Saturn sigil, itself derived from a 1557 source

The appearance of four symbols on the jacket of Led Zeppelin's fourth album has been linked to Page's interest in the occult.[138] The four symbols represented each member of the band. Page's own so-called "Zoso" symbol originated in 'Ars Magica Arteficii' (1557) by J Cardan, an old alchemical grimoire, where it has been identified as a sigil consisting of zodiac signs. The sigil is reproduced in "Dictionary of Occult, Hermetic and Alchemical Sigils" by Fred Gettings.[139][140]

During tours and performances after the release of the fourth album, Page often had the "Zoso" symbol embroidered on his clothes, along with zodiac symbols. These were visible most notably on his "Dragon Suit", which included the signs for Capricorn, Scorpio and Cancer which are Page's Sun, Ascendant, and Moon signs, respectively.

The artwork inside the album cover of Led Zeppelin IV is from a painting by William Holman Hunt, influenced by the traditional Rider/Waite Tarot card design for the card called "The Hermit".[138] Page transforms into this character during his fantasy sequence in Led Zeppelin's concert film The Song Remains the Same.

In the early 1970s Page owned an occult bookshop and publishing house, "The Equinox Booksellers and Publishers" in Kensington High Street, London, eventually closing it as the increasing success of Led Zeppelin resulted in his having insufficient time to devote to it. The company published a facsimile of English occultist's Aleister Crowley's 1904 edition of The Goetia.[141] Page has maintained a strong interest in Crowley for many years. In 1978, he explained:

I feel Aleister Crowley is a misunderstood genius of the 20th century. Because his whole thing was liberation of the person, of the entity, and that restrictions would foul you up, lead to frustration which leads to violence, crime, mental breakdown, depending on what sort of makeup you have underneath. The further this age we're in now gets into technology and alienation, a lot of the points he's made seem to manifest themselves all down the line.

Page was commissioned to write the soundtrack music for the film Lucifer Rising by another occultist and Crowley admirer, underground movie director Kenneth Anger. Page ultimately produced 23 minutes of music which Anger felt was insufficient because the film ran for 28 minutes and Anger wanted the film to have a full soundtrack. Anger claimed Page took three years to deliver the music, and the final product was only 23 minutes of droning. The director also slammed the guitarist in the press by calling him a "dabbler" in the occult and an addict, and being too strung out on drugs to complete the project. Page countered that he had fulfilled all his obligations, even going so far as to lend Anger his own film editing equipment to help him finish the project.[143]

Although Page collected works by Crowley, he has never described himself as a Thelemite nor was he ever initiated into the O.T.O. The Equinox Bookstore and Boleskine House were both sold off during the 1980s, as Page settled into family life and participated in charity work.

Where these guys satanic or not? Im tired of hearing rumors... Was jimmy satanic? If so what about Robert, JPJ, and John? Thanks...

I believe initially, they probably enjoyed the romance and mystique of the occult; but it was really just theatrics that were a part of their image and not a personal belief - I do think, from the biographies I have read, that as their lives snowballed into more and more excessive behaviour, that it became more than just theatrics and something that made their mindsets very negative and affected them. Several biographers mention Robert's son's death, his car accident and John's early passing as a price they paid for doing what the folk lore of Robert Johnson was said to have done, sold his soul to the devil. Personally, as I don't believe in the literal devil, I think it was more that they allowed themselves to be governed by an idea and lose their own way.

Matt

IMO there can be a frisson of adventure when 'dabbling in the occult' as many rock musicians have done

Aleister(cool spelling) Crowley with his intelligent yet bizarre take on life/philosophy/relationships perhaps fills the need for

Wild affirmation of the troubled, drug fuelled soul :blink:

Crowley commissioned the beautiful and disturbing Thoth Tarot card pack

Making interesting comparison with the more day to day practical Ryder-Waite pack

Good to 'get inside' some of the graphic symbolism therein

And tap into the collective unconscious Carl Jung so eloquently propounded.....

V

:-({|=

In fact the list of Sigilla can be found in many very old texts:

Cardan, De rerum varietate, 1580, page 789:

drv1580.jpg

Cardan, Opera Omnia, 1663, page 313:

OOIII.jpg

These two texts are almost 100 year apart yet show the exact same chart. The Zoso is the first symbol under Saturn at the very bottom.

I believe initially, they probably enjoyed the romance and mystique of the occult; but it was really just theatrics that were a part of their image and not a personal belief - I do think, from the biographies I have read, that as their lives snowballed into more and more excessive behaviour, that it became more than just theatrics and something that made their mindsets very negative and affected them. Several biographers mention Robert's son's death, his car accident and John's early passing as a price they paid for doing what the folk lore of Robert Johnson was said to have done, sold his soul to the devil. Personally, as I don't believe in the literal devil, I think it was more that they allowed themselves to be governed by an idea and lose their own way.

Matt

Well my feelings on this is that words and actions mean something and we are in fact what we project. If you are a willing participant, whatever the reason, you are still a partner in the occult.

Aleister Crowley has always been one of his idols. He was a very strange man and also had major ties to the occult

He definitely caught the attention of a lot of musicians, "Mr. Crowley" by Ozzy Osbourne is a classic.

Just one thing guys..Don't mess with the Occult, I did when I was younger...I was very curious about Aliester Crowley and occultic rituals. I got my self in a lot of trouble, and almost killed my self, and hurting people in the process..I still have wierd things happen to me, and feel I made some bad decisions that will affect me my entire life...I know i'm gonna get flamed for this, but don't mess with the Occult, its not a game. Demons are very real, as are spirits, and they can hurt you..

Just one thing guys..Don't mess with the Occult, I did when I was younger...I was very curious about Aliester Crowley and occultic rituals. I got my self in a lot of trouble, and almost killed my self, and hurting people in the process..I still have wierd things happen to me, and feel I made some bad decisions that will affect me my entire life...I know i'm gonna get flamed for this, but don't mess with the Occult, its not a game. Demons are very real, as are spirits, and they can hurt you..

Tell em chase.

I've studied this aspect as well, as I wanted to know.

The ledzeppelin.org official website insists Page is NOT satanic, neither was inducted ever into any stanic society.

He is, however, clearly into astrology, and from the sigils shown above, the most likely reason for his choosing of his symbol is it's being symbolic for Saturn or, his ruling planet.

He embroidered many astrological symbols on the stage outfits he wore in the the 70's.

There are MANY interviews out there where at least Page and Plant express either disgust, distress, or other negativity regarding their perception as being a 'satanic' band, basically saying they felt "inspired" and that those who say those things "don't understand anything at all about what we were all about." They all REALLY hate the junk about the backwards-business re: Stairway to Heaven -- which all four say is junk and not only junk but *impossible* to have done on purpose.

Basically I think it's something some groups picked up on and spread around but is fundamentally untrue.

Page's Crowley interest is real. He has also been quoted as saying "the man was a master of evil -- and you can't just ignore evil if you're going to study the paranormal like I do." (I can't remember the source on this but it's online in several places) However if I'm not mistaken he sold Crowley's house in the mid-eighties, although it is not known how much interest he retains in collecting books and artifacts etc regarding the paranormal/supernatural (which seems to be the underlying interest to the whole thing).

The astrology interest on Page's part is real, and from his sequences in "The Song Remains The Same" and other artwork on the albums, also shows very likely an interest in Tarot.

Mainly these interests were Page's interests from what I have been able to find. And the other three didn't care or mind so much.

Ledzeppelin.org states that Page is "very interested in all religions and spirituality." Or some such. Been a while - tired today - but it's easily searchable on their website.

It's all online. Search and you'll find all you want to know on this. The Wikipedia article quoted above is decent, but remember Wiki is written by everyone. Always check out the source links at the bottom to figure out the actual articles people are quoting from. That will get you headed the direction you want to go. Wiki is always, only a starting point for real research.

As for bad luck -- a band member dying, and Robert's terrible loss of his son at age 5, are not any worse luck than any other human beings experience in normal lifetimes. Not something I would call the result of "selling a soul".... if that is even possible (and I do believe personally in angels, devils, heaven and hell). I believe you can lose yourself in a lifestyle that gets away from you. But don't we all have problems of our own we deal with?

And if any of us were given that kind of fame, fortune, influence and power would any of us manage it any better in our personal lives?

Best not to try to judge that unless you've lived it. And even then.

Robert has also stated in an interview that he hasn't "taken a drug since that day" (the death of his son), tho he still drinks some.

Robert's current album "Band of Joy" which is mainly cover songs, contains many sincerely Christian lyrics and values.

And he is still using his own symbol of the circle with the feather in the center, on that cover.

So that's about it... I think...

I also fully agree with the others on this thread that avoiding the occult is a really, really good idea. :)

Linda

While we're on this topic, anyone ever read "Hammer of the Gods"? I read it years ago. Some very good incite in there, even though it's an unauthorized bio of the band.

Yes, I've read it and really enjoyed it.

Although, as you say, it's "unofficial" I think it's generally accepted as the "definitive" work on the band.

I don't buy in to the who do Voodoo crap. Occult stuff scares me about as much as an English Muffin. Anyway I do recall seeing Jimmy wearing a pair of pants with 666 sewn on them. ( no it wasn't stars or moons, zoso, or any other symbol but I am hungry for Lucky Charms now.) It was in a guitar mag and the first time I ever saw it and it is plain as day. Does that mean he is a satanist? Who knows, don't care.... I think a lot of that crap is theatrics anyway. If I ever find the picture I will scan it.

Andy

"Deconstructing the Stairway" -->> http://wp.me/p15uXI-x <<---here is my blog article (Part I of IV) which started off my research; it's a lengthy analysis of the lyric of Stairway to Heaven from a Christian viewpoint and perspective, with parts I & II going into answering the question posed at the top of this thread, and III & IV the lyric analysis.

Feel free to read it all if you're into that sort of thing :) Here are the most relevant links resulting from that blog research:

Led Zeppelin online archive, http://led-zeppelin....2#ixzz10VdQRf4a

National Public Radio, "Guitar Legend Jimmy Page," June 2, 2003, transcribed from audio http://www.npr.org/t...storyId=1283481

Llewellyn, Sian, "Stairway to Heaven," December, 1998. Total Guitar, p.61-62

Considine, J.D. "Life in a Lighter Zeppelin: Robert Plant Interview," Musician,December 1983, emphasis added. http://www.led-zeppe...rence/int18.htm

Cameron Crowe, "The Durable Led Zeppelin: A Conversation With Jimmy Page and Robert Plant," Rolling Stone Magazine, circa 1974; posted to Scribd.com on Nov 28, 2007, emphasis added.

http://www.scribd.co...antRollingStone

Led Zeppelin online archive, http://led-zeppelin....2#ixzz10VfXUHdP

Guitar World, exclusive interview with Jimmy Page, as quoted by Chris Zangara on AllExperts.com, http://www.allexpert...s-M-Zangara.htm; query out to Zangara for exact issue.

Led Zeppelin online archive, http://led-zeppelin....2#ixzz10VdQRf4a

Guitar World, exclusive interview with Jimmy Page, as quoted by Chris Zangara on AllExperts.com, http://www.allexpert...s-M-Zangara.htm; query out to Zangara for exact issue.

Led Zeppelin archive, http://led-zeppelin....php?m=assorted2

Contact Music, "Plant Kicked Drugs After Son's Tragic Death," April 14, 2005, http://www.contactmu...ns-tragic-death

Action for Brazil's Children (ABC Trust) official site, http://www.abctrust....k/whoweare.html, http://www.abctrust....taskbrasil.html

Forever (band), member unnamed, "The True Meaning of Stairway to Heaven,<br style="color: rgb(68, 68, 68); font-family: Georgia, 'Bitstream Charter', serif; line-height: 1.5; ">as deciphered by a Born-Again Christian," 2003, http://www.sunsetwes...er/stairway.htm

Note none of these are Wikipedia sources. :)

Sorry if any are duplicates - copied over from the 4-part blog pages.

Well I haven't found the 666 pants yet but while looking through some old back issues of Guitar mags I found an ad with a guy wearing a terrible pair of pants (who happens to be me).... [blush][blink][biggrin]

de14ac3f.jpg

Archived