Gibson Brands Forums

Jimmy Page/Zeppelin Religion

ClassicRocker23

It's all online. Search and you'll find all you want to know on this. The Wikipedia article quoted above is decent, but remember Wiki is written by everyone. Always check out the source links at the bottom to figure out the actual articles people are quoting from. That will get you headed the direction you want to go. Wiki is always, only a starting point for real research.

Before posting that I made sure that it was all fact. Or at least true to the biography I'm reading. BTW this is the book:

4199451_3433851_trimmed.jpg

faith has been returned

you are now my hero again [biggrin]

They wouldn't quote what I thought of those amps.... "They were turds with speakers". The guy in the white lab coat and stethoscope is Alan Hoover who invented the Sustainiac. That pic was taken in front of my guitar workbench. Alan would tweak on the amp prototype and bring it in for me to try out. I would tell him it sounded like crap every time. He would get pissed and go tinker with it some more and the process was repeated over and over. I finally had taken another job before it was "Finished" ..... Still sounded like crap! Alan is a great guy though, very smart and I believe is still involved with the Sustainiac devices....

Anyway back to the previous thread topic already in progress for your convenience.

Andy

I know for a fact that page had an interest in the Occult and well a lot of there work has influences from J.R.R Tolkien (Awesome Fantasy writer) these are not good things for such a huge entity especially through the time they were making music, remember how every rock band was the devils music? Now add in an interest to the Occult and there open "love" shall we say of J.R.R Tolkien's works would really put the Catholic peoples panties in a knot.

Then Comes the Music...

Some of the musical scales and stuff that Zeppelin used were very "dark" infact the Tritone Interval that pops up in a lot of Pages work (along with many other rockers) was strictly forbidden in Renaissance compositions as the Tritone Interval; the mathematical halfway point in the octave which allegedly sounded Satanic. Composers who used it during this time were killed by the Chruch...seriously, it was also called "Diabolus in Musica" which literally translates to "The Devil in Music". The dreaded Tritone, six semitones up from the root (and six down from the octave), is harmonically bewildering, being neither fish nor fowl, exactly halfway from nowhere; one interval with two names (enharmonic in 12-tone equal temperament), Augmented 4th and Diminished 5th; however the Tritone interval appears in other chords aswell such as the Diminished 7th.

All the Info you could dream of on the Tritone is listed on Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tritone

I believe this is the reason a lot of music from back in that mid 60s to late 70s was being called the devils music.

A little devil in music is good, just as dissonance and tritones are.

If an interest in the occult and Tolkien fueled Page's compositions and production, more power to him. Zeppelin was always doing fresh and new things musically.

Archived