Gibson Brands Forums

What Tonal difference between the PAFs and the T Tops?

Reilly81

At this point I have a couple of Gibsons but the latest is a 79 The Paul. In reading up I gather they were the next step after the PAFs so I wondered how much difference in sound or tone. Definitely different than my SG, LP Deluxe with the minis and the Blues 90s on a BluesHawk. Any info, opinions etc appreciated. Gonna round things off with a P90 guitar some day so any opinions, comparisons on those welcome too.

I can't comment with personal experience between the various years of pups. But I would say it is not JUST a case of t-top vs PAF. The PAF evolved quickly, with the '57 being of different construction than '60. Then, the decal patent # also went through changes (I am pretty sure t-top coils appeared with decal pups).

What I CAN say from experience, is that I have been close to and played some great sounding Gibby's that I knew had t-tops. I would not write then off because they are not decals or PAF.

Hello! "T-tops" ain't the same with the pickups used to be called "Super Humbuckers" in the 70s?

"After PAF pickups were gone, the patent# pickups were next and used from 1962 to 1965. Then from 1965 to 1975 (note overlap) the next Gibson humbucker is known as the "T bucker" or "T top". They are called this because of a "T" that is part of the molding on the front of the two pickup bobbins. These also had the decal with "Patent No 2,737,842" (still the patent number of Les Paul's trapeze tailpiece). The only way to see the "T" is to remove the pickup cover. A small change in late patent# pickups was white PVC bobbin wires instead of black (black was used on pre-1965 humbuckers). Also T buckers can use either slot or phillips head screws to hold the bobbins to the base plate."

http://home.provide.net/~cfh/paf.html

"After PAF pickups were gone, the patent# pickups were next and used from 1962 to 1965. Then from 1965 to 1975 (note overlap) the next Gibson humbucker is known as the "T bucker" or "T top". They are called this because of a "T" that is part of the molding on the front of the two pickup bobbins. These also had the decal with "Patent No 2,737,842" (still the patent number of Les Paul's trapeze tailpiece). The only way to see the "T" is to remove the pickup cover. A small change in late patent# pickups was white PVC bobbin wires instead of black (black was used on pre-1965 humbuckers). Also T buckers can use either slot or phillips head screws to hold the bobbins to the base plate."

http://home.provide.net/~cfh/paf.html

I have read the same article. I really like the T tops on my 79' The Paul, but I have never played any of the earlier PAFs and wondered what differences there were if any. That's what I am trying to find out. I have a 70's Deluxe that has the mini HBs and they're different than my 80's SG. The Gibsons' I own all seem to have a noticeable difference and that's why the question. Hope to someday also pick up one with P90's to round out what I have but like all tone quests they lead all over the place.

I have read the same article. I really like the T tops on my 79' The Paul, but I have never played any of the earlier PAFs and wondered what differences there were if any. That's what I am trying to find out. I have a 70's Deluxe that has the mini HBs and they're different than my 80's SG. The Gibsons' I own all seem to have a noticeable difference and that's why the question. Hope to someday also pick up one with P90's to round out what I have but like all tone quests they lead all over the place.

Reilly,

Mind if I ask how much your '79 The Paul weighs?

• 2 weeks later...

Reilly,

Mind if I ask how much your '79 The Paul weighs?

Sorry to take so long, been busy with the job. Weighs in, upright, at about 8 to 8 1/2 lbs. Sounding great through a Peavey Delta Blues 2x10 that I subbed in an Eminence Little Buddy 10 with a Weber 10.

Reilly

Archived