Gibson Brands Forums

Monitors

neilpanda

Interesting post....

I have been looking for the ideal solution for some time now, being aware of the downside of high stage volumes

Individual in-ear monitors vs 'whole band' set-ups...are they expensive and easily controlled?

I am concerned that shutting out ambient noise has disadvantages for communication in general

How simple/complex can it be to set up wireless vocal mic, guitar and in-ear monitors, without a dedicated sound man?

Anybody care to share their experience and product choices....would be gratefully received....

V

:-({|=

We went through several itterations of in-ears, but it was early 2000s, so relatively inexpensive easy to get for working mooks in-ears were kinda new. But we tried quite a few times.

For geezers like us, used to the air in the room moving with whatever we do, the in-ears didn't work at all. Like playing with a blanket over yer head was how I felt about it. That, and I didn't come here to hear US, I came here to hear the crowd!

I suppose at larger joints it would work a lot better, can keep all volumes down and that's pretty much what the big venues would like. Bars, nightclubs, even the big Ballrooms at the hotels around here, not so much.

I donated my last Yamaha 15 floor to a fundraiser for a local kid hit by a car. I don't need them anymore, but if I was going out tomorrow for a couple months of gigs, I'd be out buying a floor or two for myself, I don't care what the other people use.

rct

I have always used floor monitors. It can be a crap shoot if the PA is crappy, but in ear setups are too isolating.

This is not too big a deal for me because I also wear high end musicians earplugs. They attenuate all frequencies evenly so it is like turning down the volume. It also helps to isolate your voice in your head so you can feel if you're out of tune when singing.

One thing to note about monitors in general: I *only* ever put vocals in them. If the drummer can have a sub mix he gets kick drum in his, but that is it. You start putting guitar and bass in there an it's a muddy mess. The exceptions are

- Acoustic guitar running direct. Keep it low, though.

- Keyboards running direct because they're too lazy to get an amp.

- You are playing a large venue where they have a separate sound man with his own board to run the monitor mix. If you live in Chicago these are places like the Metro and Double Door. Not the Empty Bottle or Schubas.

I've only used floor monitors, but I like the noise. Does it hurt my hearing, yeah but I've tried using earplugs and the sort an it stuffs me up and messes with my singing. I haven't had a chance to use in ears, but my experience with earplugs tells me that I probably won't like em

i have played at my school regularly on a chapel band which is also a big church it has both moniters and in ear and i have to say both suck there but they have great equipment they just don know how to use it. at my church we play with Bose line array towers four of them so its basically like on stage monitors its great you can hear everything crystal clear

It depends on the location I have ultimate ears that I'll use if were outdoors or in a really noisy environment but I honestly prefer stage monitors. I have a small one that sounds ok and it actually hooks onto the mic stand about half way up he stand, It's small out of he way and works great for what I'm doing. If we are recording then I wear headphones. I have pretty bad hearing with a lot of damage from years of abuse, so I usually wear the custom made musician ear plugs while playing. They keep everything sharp and clear but at a greatly reduced volume which is why i like the small speaker on my stand so much, I can hear it when needed for vocals or something specific or I can wander off and still hear the stage and voices rather than just the musical roar.

In ears are great. I used a pair of Ultimate Ears...until they met my vacuum cleaner.. ](*,)

Must've really been sucked! Sorry the pun was too inviting, I moved into a place that was all hardwood because of how many things I have sucked up with the vacuum not only because its cost me to replace the items sucked up but a couple times the vacuum needed repairs to.

I think the in ears leave you with less ear fatigue. As with anything you get what you pay for and having gear that is designed to run in ears is also important. Given that I actually like a little of both... I like to have to push for vocals ....

Archived