Gibson Brands Forums

NGD - Vintage Mahogany Studio

Clump

I made a trade for a beautiful 2009 Vintage Mahogany Studio last week. My first Gibson LP! [thumbup] Really happy with this guitar and loving the sounds from the Burstbucker Pros.

IMG_3392.jpg

IMG_3393.jpg

IMG_3397.jpg

1 odd thing -

It has a PCB for the controls with round metal Gibson stamped pot casings.

I understand how the volume controls interact in the middle switch position. They do a similar thing up or down.

To be real specific:

Switch up (neck), neck volume 10, bridge volume 0 = no output.

Switch up (neck), neck volume 10, bridge volume 1-10 = output.

Once the bridge is turned up enough to get any output at all the volume doesn't change.

Is this normal?

Control Cavity -

IMG_3390.jpg

About the pots and toggle - that's normal for the middle position. But if the toggle is switched to bridge or to neck, you should be able to have the switched out pot on zero and the switch in pot set to where you like it. I use this trick for a kill switch sometimes - switching to the zeroed pot gives the kill.

About the pots and toggle - that's normal for the middle position. But if the toggle is switched to bridge or to neck, you should be able to have the switched out pot on zero and the switch in pot set to where you like it. I use this trick for a kill switch sometimes - switching to the zeroed pot gives the kill.

Thanks! I guess there's a problem. I'll try cleaning the switch and pots and exercise the connectors. I think I see 50s wiring in the future. Maybe I shouldn't mess with it - having a problem is the perfect excuse to replace some stuff!

yes the toggle switch volume issue you described is normal

in the middle setting both volume pots need to be higher than zero to get a signal otherwise it will act as a killswitch.

as for the PCB it is the modern addition to les pauls. If it was my guitar I would take it all out and wire up 50's traditional

Congrats on the LP.

The VM Studios are well respected 'round these parts and you look to have scored some nice flowing grain on yours into the bargain.

'50s wiring is good. I don't have any experience of the PCB's so can't comment any further than to add my 'yes' to the normality of the 'mid-position' thing.....

P.

Archived