Gibson Brands Forums

ES-150 advice and serial number year?

sylvanmanor

Hello,

The ES-150 I am looking at buying has dot fingerboard inlays, as opposed to the newer trapezoid inlays, but has the more modern logo on the headstock. From what I could make out, the serial number is 9g8251.

It is priced at $1,200.

Can anyone lend any insight on the possible year and whether or not the price is a decent deal (which understandably depends on its shape, which is good, but in general for its year)?

Thank you!

Hello,

The ES-150 I am looking at buying has dot fingerboard inlays, as opposed to the newer trapezoid inlays, but has the more modern logo on the headstock. From what I could make out, the serial number is 9g8251.

It is priced at $1,200.

Can anyone lend any insight on the possible year and whether or not the price is a decent deal (which understandably depends on its shape, which is good, but in general for its year)?

Thank you!

Please someone correct me If I am wrong, but that does not appear to be a genuine serial number

I am NOT an expert by any means.

Dot inlays would be an ES150 before 1950.

It actually looks legit to me.

The serial number and the sticker do NOT look original.. but I have been wrong before. The Stamp looks close to being right.

The bridge is not original

At least one tuner button (low E looks too new )

I am going to go against the grain and say 1200 is in the right range but if you can get it for a thousand go for it.

I am confident it isnt chinese.

Get the measurement... from the nut to the 12th fretwire should be 12.75in (and not 12.35)

The lower bought should measure very close to 17 inches (not 16.25ish)

If it is the smaller numbers it is closer to and ES125

Hopefully knowledgeable people will chime in.

EDIT: On closer inspection it looks like high E and low E tuner buttons are replaced and the knobs arent original either.

Really.. get the measurements and post here when you get the best price before you buy. Clearer pics help too.. the dots look a little white on the fingerboard but that can be the lighting/flash. Google ES 150 and look at all the pics... I think there are some good ones on archtop.com

I would stay away from that one, That serial doesn't make any sense. It's not worth the risk

Ha, well actually, I've already bought it--so you could say my curiosity is verging on desperate.

I do appreciate your help, thanks!

I was told it was late-40s/early 50s.

This site describes serials from 1902 to April 1947: "Number and model name on white paper label, number range 1000 to 99999"

That technically is what is found on a white paper label inside this guitar, it just strangely has a G after the first number, 9.

Really hope I have the genuine article.

I also uploaded a photo of the back of the head: http://www.frontierruckus.com/nggallery/page-296/album-5/gallery-41

Those ES-150's did not have any serial numbers. They had FON numbers stamped into the upper bout. Aside from the serial number it looks legit & two tuning keys look as if they were replaced.

Craig

I am NOT an expert by any means.

Dot inlays would be an ES150 before 1950.

It actually looks legit to me.

The serial number and the sticker do NOT look original.. but I have been wrong before. The Stamp looks close to being right.

The bridge is not original

At least one tuner button (low E looks too new )

I am going to go against the grain and say 1200 is in the right range but if you can get it for a thousand go for it.

I am confident it isnt chinese.

Get the measurement... from the nut to the 12th fretwire should be 12.75in (and not 12.35)

The lower bought should measure very close to 17 inches (not 16.25ish)

If it is the smaller numbers it is closer to and ES125

Hopefully knowledgeable people will chime in.

EDIT: On closer inspection it looks like high E and low E tuner buttons are replaced and the knobs arent original either.

Really.. get the measurements and post here when you get the best price before you buy. Clearer pics help too.. the dots look a little white on the fingerboard but that can be the lighting/flash. Google ES 150 and look at all the pics... I think there are some good ones on archtop.com

Well the measurements are at least correct--17 in across at the bottom and 12 3/4 to the 12th fret. Thank you very much for your help!

Those ES-150's did not have any serial numbers. They had FON numbers stamped into the upper bout. Aside from the serial number it looks legit & two tuning keys look as if they were replaced.

Craig

Thanks Craig,

I'll take your word for it!

Craig

This is very helpful advice as I've always worried about why my ES150 does not have a serial number. Here's mine:-

77ee0101.png

• 1 month later...

My ES 150 featured above, is an absolute knock out thru the amp and has a great neck that allows for a very low action!

I had mine polished by a luthier and I changed the tone and volume control knobs for a more vintage color.

Your 1956 looks gorgeous congrats!!

Here is a slideshow of my 1956 ES-150.:

I remember this guitar from ebay. Dont think the tuners were original (metal tulips ?)

Didnt have the FON but there were only like 20 shipped in 56 so you got one of the very last ones.

Cody had sent me a few pics. Looks nice.. congrats :)

• 1 year later...

Here is a slideshow of my 1956 ES-150.:

That is the ES150 I have.

How do I find the FON?

I am dying to know the year. I thought I had an ES125 until I did the measurements and read more about the inlays and the fretboard.

Thanks!

Also, didn't they make just a few that year?

That is the ES150 I have.

How do I find the FON?

FON's are typically stamped on the inside surface of the back of the body. Look through the f-holes with a flashlight

Also, didn't they make just a few that year?

Yes, they only made 6 that year (the last year for the model).

Archived