Gibson Brands Forums

Are they same or diffrent

lespaul95

The plus is just the designation for the burst finishes. The Pickguard isn't installed and they come with dunlop straplocks (or did). I'm not sure if it's the case with all of them but the body on mine is one piece of wood. My goldtop standard is two.

Seems to be the same! I am wondering what the "plus" is for? Hm.

I did some looking and there is no clear information on the difference between a Standard and a Standard Plus. Typical. Gibson said it was going to fix that on their website. Looks like they've still got some work to do. It's definitely a point of irritation for customers when Gibson puts out myriad versions of every guitar and then leaves everyone, including sales people and customers scratching their heads over what the frickin' differences are. . . [glare]

The plus is usually the designation for a fancier maple top.

Yes, sometimes. According to Gibson's website, the 2008 Les Paul Standard has a AA figured maple top; and a Les Paul Standard Plus, according to sellers' website specs, also has a AA figured maple top. So in this particular case, "Plus" apparently doesn't apply to the maple top. As for Standards, they come in burst and solid colors with no "Plus" designation (just a price difference), the pickguard sometimes comes uninstalled in the case. Straplocks is a possibility, but I don't see them listed on any spec sheets. I do see Bourns Gold-plated Potentiometers listed on the Plus, but not listed for the 2008 Standard.

As I understand it;

The 'burst (non-solid-colour) examples of the 2008 Standard and Standard Plus are normally both fitted with what Gibson classifies as grade AA tops. This refers to the degree of figure ('flame') seen in the maple cap.

As a general rule-of-thumb, 'plain-' (unfigured) tops are grade A; AA tops are designated as being 'Plus'; AAA examples are refferred to as being 'Premium Plus'.

There is a description somewhere which details the differences between all those 'A's. In general, if the figure goes from the very edge of the instrument all the way to the centre seam and is prominent in appearance it will be AAA.

Less pronounced figure, or figure which does not cover the entire top, will be AA etc...etc...

Occasionally there are tops which are graded AAAA or even AAAAA. Quite a few of the re-issues made during the '90s were AAAA but lately this style of top has been less commonly used.

P.

That's because "Standard", and "Standard Plus" is a designation used by Guitar Center/Musicians Friend/Music 123, etc. and not Gibson to differentiate between a solid color and a figured top which is the "Plus", and of course costs more.

No

Hmmmm I see this, I didn't think they would list it as a feature though, because when I buy a solid body I do not want any cambering or weight relieving not a selling feature to me its actually a DONT BUY this feature. Sorry for my added confusion there man.

That's because "Standard", and "Standard Plus" is a designation used by Guitar Center/Musicians Friend/Music 123, etc. and not Gibson to differentiate between a solid color and a figured top which is the "Plus", and of course costs more.

Yes, the plain/figured top thing has been pointed out already by Pippy. . My point is Gibson lists no such models on their website, and to reduce confusion, Gibson should not be allowing dealers to make up names that are not cataloged by Gibson - - - or add the name to the website listings.

Sorry, I was attempting to remedy the confusion as to why Gibson has no such listing.

As far as I know, dealers/retailers can designate their products anyway they want when it comes to identifying products and avoiding confusion in their catalouge/website etc.

If they were just listed it as "Standard", I'm sure there would be problems with people either not getting the "Top" wanted and are paying for, or people wondering why they got charged more when they wanted a solid color, etc.

This way, you get exatly what's on the screen or page when you order that particular model.

If you have questions, asking the retailer might be a good idea if the Gibson site can't answer your questions.

Sorry .... If you have questions, asking the retailer might be a good idea if the Gibson site can't answer your questions.

No problem, I realized you were helping.

Asking the retailer is always an option, unfortunately the sales people are sometimes not informed enough to answer such questions (suffice it to say I've purchased gear and guitars in person at GC). This isn't some isolated personal misunderstanding. Gibson knows about this problem and has said it was going to address complaints like this on the website. And they have made some changes - adding specs where there were none, adding listings for some of the "exclusive" retailer models. Hopefully they'll continue their efforts on the website.

All good.

Yes it's good to see some of the exclusives on the Gibson site.

For a long time the only place to get the specs on exclusives was the on the websites of the retailers, and even then sometimes they were copy and paste from a similar model.

Even Sam Ash exclusives like the Les Paul Traditional 60 are there now.

That's fine once you get your hands on a pre-pack list, but there is no designation as to what finishes are "Plus", or rather what finishes are refered to as "Plus" by retailers on the Gibson specs. page.

There are just finish descriptions.

Of course, some people may know that any "Burst" finish, an Iced Tea finish, a Wine Red finish, and a Chicago Blue finish are models with transparent "Plus" tops, but some may not.

This is a Gibson designation. .... See the Plus+ ....

Thanks Phil. Gibson sometimes codes the figured tops like that in the model number. I've got a AAA-figured LP (Gibson's spec) with no "+" in the model number (it has "LPP" according to Pippy it should be "LPPP"), and I've got a CS ES359 with the word "curly" in the number. Inconsistent to say the least.

Regarding the model name, which is what we've been discussing, Gibson doesn't always use the words "Plus", "Curly", "Premium Plus", etc in the model name. Here is the one case from the website where they have - http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Studio-Pro-Plus.aspx

... Of course, some people may know that any "Burst" finish, an Iced Tea finish, a Wine Red finish, and a Chicago Blue finish are models with transparent "Plus" tops, but some may not.

Great point. This is what triggered the confusion of the OP.

Archived