Gibson Brands Forums

Recording Practice Track AND Guitar Output SImulatneously

BlueEpiphone

Hello. I have a DAW setup (Line 6 GX and the Gearbox interface which has a .wav player I use for playing backing music stored on my hard drive. Sometimes I'll play along to YouTune videos if the web connection is fast. I would like to be able to record BOTH my guitar AND the backing track in one take/or track (basically whatever I'm hearing through the Line Out of my GX). I'm using the GX as my sound card and the USB cable is the only physical link between my PC and GX. Using my onboard AC 97 soundcard I was once able to record my guitar (guitar-to-mic-IN) AND the backing track (streamed from YouTube) using one track. I was using Reaper and armed one track and recorded both sources (somehow). I did not notice any major latency from the sound card. I have Ableton Live 7.0 (the version included with the GX) and would like to learn with that. So far I can only record the guitar with Reaper and Ableton but have no trouble hearing both sources while playing. Can I set up the GX and Ableton to record both sources at once? Thank-you

I'm not really sure of what you're wanting to do. If you want to play along to a video and record the output of both the video and your guitar playing to a single sound file then there's an easier way to do it than using Ableton or any other DAW. You can download a free program called Streamosaur from here > http://www.wavosaur.com/streamosaur/. This records anything and everything that's playing through your soundcard and saves it to a .wav or MP3 file. I'm not 100% sure that this would work with an external soundcard but USB is a 2 way interface so it might. Seems to me it's worth a try anyway as it's free.

Failing that, you could always rip the audio from the video using Streamosaur (or Format Factory - if you download the video first) put the .wav file on one track of Ableton, play your guitar on another track and mix it to a single sound file it would achieve the same end result.

Sorry to make it sound so convoluted. Really I would like to know if I can record everything I'm hearing in my headphones (LINE-OUT from my Line 6 GX USB device). I have Ableton 7 and Reaper for recording. I would like to be able to record both my backing music (which is streaming from my hard drive) and my guitar accompaniment (which is processed by the GX box with all the effects and goodies I need). I no longer use my PC's sound card because the GX does everything I need (via a USB interface between the PC and GX). I used to play a backing track file and play along on guitar. With Reaper I would create ONE track, hit record, and jam on guitar while hearing the backing track. The recording would have both my guitar and backing music in one track/one take. The difference was I used my onboard sound card and did not have any digital USB gear. I won't give up my GX and Sound Farm stuff. I like it too much.

Sorry, although I use both Reaper and Ableton 8 I don't know the Line 6 unit at all so I'd only be guessing at a solution. I know what you're trying to do as I had a similar problem when I changed from the internal sound that came with my PC to an M-Audio PCI card. Before the change I had an option to "Record What You Hear" which would record the sound off of videos and whatever was coming into the line/mic sockets at the same time but there is no such option with the M-Audio card. Streamosaur solved that for me and that's why I suggested it might work for you.

Sorry I couldn't help further. Have you tried posting this on the Reaper forum?

Thanks, Jonnyg. I should keep learning this DAWS stuff but I might consider recreating my old setup and use that for simple lo-fi one track recording/jamming rig. I'll get a copy of Streamosaur to try out as well. Thanks for the tip. I was given a Sound Blaster Audigy2 system and maybe that will be worth trying out on my back-up rig.

Archived