Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kineman Karma

I have a problem!!

G'day All,

Well today I think I am having the too many guitars blues [sad][sad]

I don't know why but amongst my joy of every lovely Gibson/fender purchase I make, on odd occassions after pulling them out and jamming I have a sense of guilt of owning to many guitars.

Is this my gambling prolem?

Like I already own 5 Gibson's, 6 Fender's and soon I will match the Fenders with 6 Gibsons by purchasing my ES-335.

like WTF... I am already thinking of purchasing a Fender Standard Telecaster after the ES-335.

The excuse I use in my own mind is that I am compiling my studio collection.

I don't know, I don't regret the purchases but I am worried as to when will I draw the line...

Lol, I got them too many guitar blues... don't that sound strange??

If nothing else, it's all just money in the bank ;) Good, USA made instruments will always retain good value upon resale. I have the same affliction as you. It is more of a disease......but I can live with the side effects LOL.

Looks like you got a growing Strat obsession. . B)

I'm a collector of sorts. Over the last decade I've worked on trimming down my multiples. I've got it down to one multiple - a Gibson LP and a Epi LP (the Epi is my "no-worries" play anywhere guitar). In my aging mind, it's easier to justify so many guitars because they all "different". The hard part is when I'm GASin' for a guitar, and I've already got the model in my collection - under my self imposed rules I can only keep one. Brutal. But that's workin' for me.

I have DEFinitely been where you are. My advice is that if you THINK or you sometimes get the nagging FEELING that you have too many guitars, you more than likely do.

rct

Hello KK! I think Your issue is really serious! I recommend You to visit Your doc immediately! "Too many guitars"-syndrome is not a game! Almost as serious "Too many women"-syndrome. Take it seriously, man! If the doc has no pills for You, just send me that nice Norlin Custom, it might help with Your condition temporarily. :) Cheers... Bence

You are suffering from the deadly G.A.S. syndrome !! (Guitar Acquisition Syndrome) Been there and still have recurrences. You are doomed like the rest of us. Sometimes I'll hit a patch and downsize for awhile, to two or three guitars, and then the next variation of G.A.S. strikes. Unless it's driving you to bankruptcy, divorce, family court or any of those other downfalls that some vices have, rejoice in the quest and the tone. One of the worst cases I corresponded with was a guy in Japan on the G&L site. Over 120 guitars! Another serious G.A.S. guy runs the GGJuaguar site, although he's a pro in some fields. http://www.ggjaguar.com/gggjag.htm Anyway, so long as you ain't betting the ranch, play on....

Yeah if I had the money I'd have 1000 Gibson Les Pauls, SGs, 335s. I'd have another 1000 Fender Strats and Teles.

The thing that stops me is having no extra money for that stuff.

Fortunately I do have a very extensive collection of gear and guitars to enjoy.

But it never stops the G.A.S.!!!

Just this week I've been lusting after some Wine Red Les Pauls. I was going over in my mind how I could possibly get away with buying a Wine Red Gibson LP Studio with gold hardware. I really want one!

I also want a wine red Traditional Plus. I also want a wine red Custom.

After that..... I need a good '59 Re-issue VOS.

Then I realize it will never ever stop.

Then I look at my bills and quickly forget about buying any new guitars for a while.

Till the next attack LOL!

When I placed my preorder on the Les Paul 50's Tribute (after 15 years of not playing or owning a guitar at all), I bought the Ibanez to have a "no worries"-guitar. After The Les Paul arrived, I placed a preorder on 60's Tribute SG. When She arrived I tried Her at the shop and really hated it's sound, so I didn't buy Her. While I was there, I've noticed that wonderful FSR Tele...tried Her, fell in love with Her, took Her home (now I am waiting for the Baja-mod wiring for Her to arrive from US). But I got to a have a humbucker-version of the 50's Tribute too - a black one (or honey?). A faded Flying V would be good too, for a Lonnie Mack-type of Bigsby conversion - it looks so cool. Not to mention a '74 20th Anniversary Les Paul Custom in cream which is my childhood dream...and neither my Regent amp collection, nor my Ibanez effectpedal collection is complete yet...We are all sick here!!! :)

same problem, too many guitars than I have time to play. plus I always pick a favourite and keep playing it leaving the other guitars cold and alone.

I keep thinking of trimming down my collection but then they are like my kids! how do you line up your kids and pick which one goes into care?

plus if i sold a guitar i would use the money to buy another........G.A.S I struggle to sleep at nights

Well...I have a problem too..I whittled my collection down to four guitars, as I gradually cut back on my playing and now that I am playing a lot again I wish I had kept a couple of them. I no longer own a Les Paul, and now I realize I have to buy one. Could be a good thing though, the new Les Paul I buy will be nicer than my old ones. I am waffling between a '57, and a '58 or '59, all VOS.

What I wish I had done, is play any guitar I was thinking of selling for a couple of hours and THEN think about whether I would miss it too much to deal it away.

I tried to get down to one electric and one acoustic, but I was unable to. So I have three electrics and one acoustic. I don't play acoustically as much and I love my Ovation, so that was not as tough. However finding just one electric to keep me happy is something I now relaize I will probably never achieve.

Good luck.

Not to worry. If you have the expendable income and you enjoy looking, lusting, buying, and then owning numerous guitars, then do it. I usually try the one week rule. If I find a guitar I think I really want I wait a week before I buy it. This helps cut down on the impulse purchases. I try to follow this rule, but three weeks ago I test drove an Fender American Deluxe and bought it on the spot. I guess my rule is like most New Years resolutions, they just don't last. Don't feel guilty, enjoy!

Kenny V

reported spam

Well, today I pulled the trigger on a aged Cherry Sunburst Fender American Deluxe Telecaster with rosewood neck. Of course this will arrive after my ES-335 [biggrin]

Hey Angellus, whats with the reported spam business.

.... Hey Angellus, whats with the reported spam business.

Must be a nervous tick, he's done that on other threads where there's no spam. . [lol]

Well, today I pulled the trigger on a aged Cherry Sunburst Fender American Deluxe Telecaster with rosewood neck. Of course this will arrive after my ES-335 [biggrin]

Hey Angellus, whats with the reported spam business.

wow Gibson acted fast!

there was a user pretending to comment about the topic and underneath they had various links to un-related italian leather handbag websites. they had done it on a number of topics on the forum

G'day All,

Well today I think I am having the too many guitars blues [sad][sad]

I don't know why but amongst my joy of every lovely Gibson/fender purchase I make, on odd occassions after pulling them out and jamming I have a sense of guilt of owning to many guitars.

Is this my gambling prolem?

Like I already own 5 Gibson's, 6 Fender's and soon I will match the Fenders with 6 Gibsons by purchasing my ES-335.

like WTF... I am already thinking of purchasing a Fender Standard Telecaster after the ES-335.

The excuse I use in my own mind is that I am compiling my studio collection.

I don't know, I don't regret the purchases but I am worried as to when will I draw the line...

Lol, I got them too many guitar blues... don't that sound strange??

Send a couple of Gibsons to me and you will feel better I promise. [thumbup]

I just relish in the fact that I can go downstairs, pick up my ONE guitar out of the case and play to my heart's content without making any other guitars feel lonely and no guilt on my part to boot. You can always fix that by sending me one of your lonely guitars. I'll give it a good home. [biggrin]

I'll resist the urge to say the cure to your problem is to give me one of those SG's.... oops, I just did, didn't I. lol

As long as you aren't getting youself in the poor house, or needing to add an extension onto your home to house all those guitars, that's not such a bad problem.

I currently have 2 Gibbies and a Gretsch with plans for at least 2 more Gibbies and a couple of strats.

I also have an amp fetish starting up to make things worse. I have a Traynor YCS50H head with a 2x12 Traynor cabinet and a Vox AC15VR (for sale because it came with my Les Paul and the wife is wanting me to reduce the cost of the purchase, but I'm honestly in no hurry to sell because I like the amp). I'm also intersted in small tube amps like the Fender Deluxe, Champ 300, a Gretsch amp that is similar to the Champ, a number of Blackheart amps and the Marshall Class 5 to name a few.

I suspect that I'm going moving to a bigger house within 5 years if I begin to act on my impulses for these amps because they are much more affordable to satisfy than my guitar lust. lol

wow Gibson acted fast!

there was a user pretending to comment about the topic and underneath they had various links to un-related italian leather handbag websites. they had done it on a number of topics on the forum

I imagine that would generate a lot of traffic. I am sure most of us are in the market for a nice Italian handbag...good grief...

This is how addictive this sport has become [blush] I have started naming my Gibson/Fender Combinations as teams.

For example below [laugh]

Ladies and Gentlemen Please welcome to the stage Team 70's.... Yeah Baby [flapper]

IMG_0002.jpg

And also, please welcome to the stage Team Black!! You Gotta Fight for ya right...to PARRRRTAAAAYYY.. [flapper]

IMG_0006-1.jpg

Thanks everyone for your awesome humour.. I figure why feel guilty about it. I am never broke because of my addiction and never feel sad because these ladies make me feel happy. I suppose I just felt a bit of Guilt.. but...who gives a ****... [thumbup]

Nice. Of course there are worse additions out there. I always think that if you live within your means and save enough for retirement, then at some point of your life go and enjoy the things that make you happy.

I was given my Sonex to me when I was 13, which was my main (well only) guitar I used for gigs in my youth. Back then I couldn't afford a real Les Paul, which was ingrained in my mind until my thirties. One day I see this beautiful Black Cherry LP and it played like a dream. I told my wife "all my life I couldn't afford a real Les Paul" to which she said "well you can now so buy it." I've been building my collection ever since, but it doesn't hamper my lifestyle. So if you got the money, go ahead and feed your GAS; it'll help the economy too.