Gibson Brands Forums

Jorma!

retrorod

You may have missed the comments about Jorma in a thread here last week. As a fingerpicker, he's about as good as it gets. Too bad he's put away Gibsons like this AJ for performances due to his Martin endorsement, but he sure can play.

I bet when he's playing at home, he still pulls out the AJ, or the blue Star he played at the R&R Hall of Fame induction.

Anybody here been to one of his Fur Peace Ranch guitar camps?

I would love to go to that. A friend of mine and I have talked about it but so far no concrete plans. We saw Jorma at the Knox United Church here in Calgary a few years back. We had second row seats and Jorma did not disappoint! He had a mandolin player with him (whose name has temporarily escaped me) and the two of them were on fire! One of the best concerts I've ever seen.

Too bad he's put away Gibsons like this AJ for performances due to his Martin endorsement, but he sure can play.

Well, he had good reason to be upset with Gibson Acoustics -- the former GM seriously dissed him.

I bet when he's playing at home, he still pulls out the AJ, or the blue Star he played at the R&R Hall of Fame induction.

Those two aren't really among his favorites, but he 'fessed up to still playing his J-50 at home in a recent "Vintage Guitar" interview.

I've been a few times, mostly Jorma's workshops. Highly recommended.

-- Bob R

Jorma did not disappoint! He had a mandolin player with him and the two of them were on fire! One of the best concerts I've ever seen.

Barry Mitteroff is his 8-string sidekick. As RAR noted, the AJ didnt see a lot of use other than for for Blue Country heart sessions. Video clips would indicate his custom J35 go more stage time, fwiw. The J50 made an appearance on his River of Time cd, along with an M42. Those M-series guits are up there with the J45/50 as a swiss army guitar. A little deeper on the low end, more punch and ring than sweet up top.

I stopped by Fur Peace ranch several years ago to see what it was like. Jorma's wife was gracious and allowed Me and my wife to view from outside one of the seminars. about 12 people in it. There are very small cabins to stay in,2 people per cabin.They have a dining hall and a perfoming center.After the seminars you get a chance to perform in front of everyone and on the last day there is a show with the guest artists. I hope to attend one in the next year or two. It is out in the hills of Southern Ohio, not far from Athens, Ohio. Me and my wife will see him this week at the Floyd Fest in Floyd , VA. Huge show.

Archived