Gibson Brands Forums

Speaking Of Time Machines ...

JuanCarlosVejar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXKysifdQ_4

I love this man , I can still remeber when I was a kid (now early 20's)and my Dad would drive with me in the passenger seat, then James Taylor's voice

came on the radio ( I didn't know it was him back then) and I knew since that moment that his voice was unique . I was always waiting to hear the man with the " Stuffed Nose" again :) . I Love this man so much .Never heard anything quite like him ... Legend

I remember him from when I was a kid..... that was 40 years ago. He is a legend, and very loved by many. There were some albums that EVERYBODY bought back then when I was young, some albums that transcended every music genre and appealed to every type of music lover. Sweet Baby James was one of them. I can still picture that iconic front cover of the album in my mind.

People who see him now that didn't know him back then won't remember that he was this young, handsome guy with long brown hair, a whimsical smile, and a voice like an angel. And could he ever play and sing the most wonderful ballads!

I saw him at a small outdoor concert on the college green at Brown U in May of 1970, shortly after the release of his first album. He as sitting on a stool with his guitar, one mic for him and one for the guitar, with a simple two-speaker sound system.

There were probably about 200 people--it was a free, open concert. Before he started singing, everyone was sitting quietly and politely on the grass, back maybe 25 feet from him. Halfway through his opening number--can't remember what it was now--everyone realized just how special he really was, and by the end of that song, we were all sitting right at his feet, just like a livingroom concert.

Absolutely magical performer, then and now.

Great guitarist, too. I love the way he picks out both the melody and harmony lines, sometimes explicitly, sometimes implicitly.

An absolute high lounge member. Say Joni Mitchell, Paul Simon and Taylor's name will show up next. Great eyewitness account Nick45. Appreciate stories like that – from when rock/roll/folk earth was born.

Saw him for the second time a few years back – marvelous, , , even had a chat with drummer Gadd in the garden next to the Concert Hall before the show. They handle the highly nuanced and dynamic challenges of the unique medium tempo repertoire like true saints – it's such a difficult territory and they seem to transform the stage into a living-room. As we know from an earlier clip here on the Board, the J-50 is in it's case these days. Now he focuses on Olsons*.

Remember the 3'd verse of Fire and Rain from Sweet B. J. Wasn't it the first time a cello or bowed double-bass was features as a sub-drone in modern music. What terrific effect for this song.

By the way, , , did you know he was in a first 70's beat-movie with Dennis Wilson -

*Anyone here ever tried an Olson ?

Yes, growing up in the late '60's and early '70's was the BEST era for music! Being from NC, James Taylor was frequently playing around the college campus' in the state. I've attended around 20-25 of his shows. I try to go every chance I get. It's really cool to see someone of his talent and caliber produce great music for so long. His classics are just as good today as they were years ago. For the most part, his voice is still as strong today as it was back then, also. There's just not as many true musicians like that around anymore. As said previously, a legend!

Yes, growing up in the late '60's and early '70's was the BEST era for music! Being from NC, James Taylor was frequently playing around the college campus' in the state. I've attended around 20-25 of his shows. I try to go every chance I get. It's really cool to see someone of his talent and caliber produce great music for so long. His classics are just as good today as they were years ago. For the most part, his voice is still as strong today as it was back then, also. There's just not as many true musicians like that around anymore. As said previously, a legend!

Larry, I love your Woodstock avatar! And no, I wasn't there.

I grew up in the 60s. When Dylan went electric, in my area, most young players threw fingerpicking went out the window and were playing electrics. When Taylor's stuff started coming out, everyone was amazed by how great his playing sounded with the music he made. Lots of people were buying/resurrecting old acoustics and learning to fingerpick. I remember very well spending time figuring out some of his guitar work with a couple of my friends. Great memories there and one of my favorite performers.

I was playing the festival at Telluride a few years ago and JT was headlining. We were on earlier in the evening and as we were pulling away, I saw him sitting on a curb. He was just sitting there, people watching. He look so...normal. Everytime I hear his voice, I always see that mental picture of JT, chillin' at Telluride.

JT's fingerstyle is excruciatingly difficult to reproduce. He learned to play the guitar with his own unique chord grips. If you don't use those grips (which most of us don't) then getting the fingerstyle patterns, bass note progressions and lead lines within the fingerpicking patterns correct is nearly impossible... well for me anyway. I avoided many JT songs because I cannot reproduce them exactly. Then I thought... that's ridiculous. Is anyone really going to complain if I play "Wandering" or "You Can Close Your Eyes" in a slightly different way? So now they are part of my set.

I'm playing more Paul McCartney for the same reason; he has a unique "pluck with the thumb and strum with the nail of the index finger" fingerstyle that eludes me (I'm just a Travis style junkie). So I play "Mother Natures' Son" and "Blackbird" with a straight fingerpicking style.

James Taylor is realy talented! He always amazes me. Myself, being raised in the south and in North Carolina, I always felt his music in my veins.

Intense ,youthfull, and on fire....

I think that any Gibson forumite..... being he or she domestic, international. northern or southern, can appreciate this guys' talent and soulfullness 'at his prime', with an awesome band of musicians...(we all have those moments)....and enjoy his composition of "da BLUES".....

Rod

An absolute high lounge member. Say Joni Mitchell, Paul Simon and Taylor's name will show up next. Great eyewitness account Nick45. Appreciate stories like that – from when rock/roll/folk earth was born.

Saw him for the second time a few years back – marvelous, , , even had a chat with drummer Gadd in the garden next to the Concert Hall before the show. They handle the highly nuanced and dynamic challenges of the unique medium tempo repertoire like true saints – it's such a difficult territory and they seem to transform the stage into a living-room. As we know from an earlier clip here on the Board, the J-50 is in it's case these days. Now he focus on Olsons*.

Remember the 3'd verse of Fire and Rain from Sweet B. J. Wasn't it the first time a cello or bowed double-bass was features as a sub-drone in modern music. What terrific effect for this song.

By the way, , , did you know he was in a first 70's beat-movie with Dennis Wilson -

*Anyone here ever tried an Olson ?

Paul Mccartney has (had) an Olson

http://www.olsonguitars.com/players_lz.html

Archived