Gibson Brands Forums

Please help, question about my Les Paul

gibson019

I have a question on my les paul. It was made in 2008. It says Gibson Les Paul Classic but it has 1960 on the pick guard so what is it called? A Classic? A 1960 Reissue? Im confused, it plays wonderfully but i want to know the correct name :)

Yep, a Les Paul Classic.

It's a reissue of sorts, but not in the sense of Gibson's great Custom Shop reissues. It's more or less a production model with similar features to a vintage 1960 LP that could be sold more cheaply than the Custom Shop reissues. Originally they featured the thin 1960 neck profile, narrow binding in the cutaway, ABR bridge and a two-piece top, but over the years some of those features were dropped. They are nice guitars, but definitely not of the quality of the Custom Shop reissues.

Hi; Welcome; and Pics, Please!

As has been said - twice before - it's a Les Paul Classic - sometimes called a '1960 Classic' to differentiate it from the 'Classic Antique' models..

If you are interested in the genesis of the model then here's a small taster;

To quote from the great Les Paul afficionado Mike Slubowski;

"...As history goes, J.T. Riboloff of the Custom Shop had been approached by a lot of players who asked him to build special one-off Les Pauls with slimmer profile necks as found on the 1960 Standard. After consultation with Henry Juszkiewicz, Gibson's CEO, a production version appeared in 1990. Classics had many features of reissue Les Pauls, including a smaller headstock, nickel hardware, ABR-1 bridge, Kluson style tuners, and vintage style knobs. For the first few years they did have the thin binding in the cutaway, but that changed by approximately 1993. To meet the demands of modern musicians seeking a high output sound, the Classics were equipped with hot 496R and 500T ceramic magnet pickups..."

...They are nice guitars, but definitely not of the quality of the Custom Shop reissues...

Hmmm..........well, BigKahune (and just to be mischievous, you understand...LOL!) here's a bit more from the same article by Mr. Slubowski;

"......(they) are well built guitars, with excellent fit and finish........The necks are fast, and they play well and sound very good.......in addition to the Classic Premium Plus LPs that were made by Gibson USA during the timeframes delineated above, there were also some Classic Premium Plus models manufactured by Gibson's Custom Shop...."

Don't Shoot The Messenger!!! LOL!

P.

Good info Pippy and an informative post. No argument from me on Mr. Slubowski's opinion. I would say just about any Gibson LP could be described as being "...well built guitars, with excellent ... fit and finish." But I was addressing the reissue question when I wrote of the quality comparison. And we were talking about the OP's 2008 Classic, not one built in the 90s, or one of the Plus/CS models.

Now you tell me your thoughts - compare the quality of the current Classic to the CS reissues - the same? Or would you say one is of better quality? B)

Good info Pippy and an informative post. No argument from me on Mr. Slubowski's opinion. But we were talking about the OP's 2008 Classic, not one built in the 90s or one of the Plus/CS models.

Now you tell me your thoughts - compare the current Classic to the CS reissues in quality - the same? Or would you say one is of better quality? B)

[lol]

I know; I know...

As I said I was just stirring up a bit of nonsense...(I was also being very selective about exactly which passages I should use from his article)....lol!

I'll send a PM...

P.

Yes. In 2008.

P.

oh nice, the year i got mine :) my dad liked it so much he got one in black. great guitar!

Thank you all for the information, if anyone knows any articles that give more information on the guitar or they have the knowledge themselves my PM box is open! Always ready to learn!

Archived