Gibson Brands Forums

vintage?

chris.

Hmmmm........My wife is antique, my girlfriend is vintage......[scared][blink][drool] ...

Actually, I agree with Duane......In part because it means that I own some vintage guitars then.........[thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup] .....

If you're eighteen and you've owned a guitar longer than 12 months, it's vintage.......[lol] ...

If you own an Ibanez, yer out of luck; an Ibanez will never be vintage.....](*,) ...

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some people also equate "vintage" with quality when in fact some "vintage " guitars are of poor quality.This is where the term "classic" comes into play.I own several vintage guitars but only some of them are "classics".

i might own a vintage nylon guitar

i have one from the 80s my dad owned it when he was in college but... i dont think it will ever sell for much it plays nice but its one of those random brands that doesnt exist any more

i have one from the 80s my dad owned it when he was in college but... i dont think it will ever sell for much it plays nice but its one of those random brands that doesnt exist any more

same about the random brand the action is the worst ive ever seen

I dunno what the hate is on the Firebird X yeah it might not suit a live player all that well because it might easily get busted, but for someone like me who spends most of the time either at home or in a studio environment this thing would be sooooooo fun.

Anywho for cars a Collector is 25 years old minimum with no modifications, restoring is ok as long as original items or finishes are used, 15 years old minimum if the production run was 1500 or less worldwide for that model year OR no vehicles of any kind were built by its manufacturer for at least five years. Anything over 30 years is what they consider vintage, must be stock or restored with original parts, owned as a collectors item and mechanically sound.

Antique usually means 100 years old. Vintage does not have that definitive of an answer it's more a description of something that is older, rare and highly desirable so the term vintage does move around some based on what were talking about. A vintage car is usually in the 20-30 year old bracket before it's considered vintage, instruments it's usually closer to the 40 or 50 year mark. Sorry but a 93 Studio will never be rare and/or very desirable so it's just getting old but on the bright side in 80+ years you could have a antique but that's really about all you can hope for here. [rolleyes]

Depends on what decade Gibson releases it.

Some older guitars are cool, but there is no proof a older guitar sounds better or is better built. Yes the wood does change over the decades but it could also cause the guitar to sound better or could sound worse. The same can happen with its playability. If you take a 40 year old guitar and a newer model and blindfold the player no difference. Also guitars built today are using a better process to build the guitars, better material, better electrics and finally allot has been learned since the 50's on how to actually make guitars.

Its the individual feelings of the player, or in 99% of the time its a collector and it doesn't matter since the guitar is going in a glass case. Guitars are made to be played not looked at. I mean does a bridge off of a 59 actually sound better? How can you prove its actually from that series guitar?

It is said a sucker is born every minute and I have a TRC cover off a 57 I'll sell ya for a few hundred. Give me a few days notice so I can buy a new one and scratch the hell out of it and change the mfg markings to match.

I could easily tell the difference blind folded between a Norlin LPC and the newer LPC by sound and feel.... Even the SG Models..

will a 2011 lp be concitered vintage in 40 years

Probably not unless it's a limited edition model or something special since they make so many now and they are expensive chances are a large percentage of them will still be around. The average modern guitar will never be rare or desirable unless it's something very limited or owned and played by someone famous there's just too many. That's why the average guitar is a poor financial investment too many of them and there fairly valuable so people take care of them. The original 59's are so valuable primarily because there are not many around anymore they were produced in low numbers and they were not overly popular so the were not cared for and many were lost or destroyed, so the remaining one's become rare and then the myth of the greatest guitar ever makes them highly desirable.

Who knows though in the modern disposable world we live in where everything is replaced rather than repaired maybe anything that lasts 40 years will be worth something?

Side note - I wonder how many of the older Gibson's and Fenders were damaged and destroyed in the disasters in Japan they have been avid collectors for years?

I would say vintage describes a period of time, style etc... Vintage doesn't always equate to valuable.... Your 93 will eventually be considered vintage but I doubt it will ever have much if any more value than it currently has. Mass production and years of production have taken that out of the equation. The only thing that Gibson produces anymore that has any potential for increased value over time is the limited editions and Artist models etc... but the up front prices they charge and prices that the collectors drive them up to pretty much remove any equitable value right off the top... So pretty much if Gibson goes out of business and you wait a couple hundred years then a 93 Gibson might gain value like a late 50's model has...

Gibsons are nice quality and hold their value pretty well but buying an off the rack Standard , Traditional, Deluxe, etc... these days is very unlikely to get you a guitar that is worth 100 times more 30 or 40 years from now JMHO

Again IMHO Best potential for a current "Off the rack"( so to speak guitar) that has potential in gaining value over time is a Rickenbacker. They have always been pretty limited in quantity produced and tightly controlled for copy infringements... Go on e-bay and see how much a genuine Rickenbacker truss rod cover will cost you.... If I had the cash I would snap up as many early 70's Ricks especially basses as i could now...

Andy

I must admit the I find it funny when people call my Sonex "vintage." See here. To this date I have no idea what wood combination is used for it's "multiphonic" body. I love my Sonex (it was my first Gibson) but I'll never consider it to be a vintage guitar.

they guys over on the fender forum say 1985 and older is vintage.

That's because the REAL Fender experts are right here on the Gibby Lounge..........

They're wrong (at the Fender Forum); we're right.......It's just the way it is...............[thumbup] [thumbup] ..

they guys over on the fender forum say 1985 and older is vintage.

E.g, about 25 years old ......

This is what I find odd about the whole "vintage" obsession

[1] when this idea stared in the early 70's, the great vintage instruments ( 57-62 strat, 57-60 Les Paul) were only 10-15 years old....

[2] I started buying instruments in the 70's, and ANY Fender made after the CBS takeover, and ALL Noriln Gibsons were consdered by the "vintage" crowd to be of very poor quality

[3] Those same instruments are now fetching premium prices are "vintage" instruments.

[4] Have they magically improved by sitting around for 30-40 years, or do some players allow their impression of an instrument to be swayed purely by it's age?

[5] I don't belive the "old wood" theory. The first issue Les Pauls started to make a reputation when the wood was less than 10 years old.

Given that a 40-year-old human is young enough to be my offspring, I guess I find it difficult to consider my 35+ year old guitars "vintage."

OTOH, yeah, the CBS and Norlin era instruments did not have a very good rep at the time. A pre-CBS Precision used in excellent condition would bring maybe a 35 percent premium even over a new one where I was living in the late 70s. I wasn't living where one might find Gibsons so I can't really speak to them.

One thing about "old" guitars of any brand or style is that one has the advantage of seeing whether or not they have improved, stayed consistent, or degraded with age. Some, IMHO, definitely have degraded with age - not through hard usage, but simply because even if well cared for, they were not made of sufficiently decent materials to stand the test of time.

My older guitars are all mostly in excellent condition and I still have them simply because they always offered excellent playability. Note I didn't say beans about "style" or "tone" or whatever. With an electric or AE, strings and electronic fortification handles 80 percent of tone anyway, and "style" of appearance always was secondary to me compared to appropriateness of the type of guitar to what I wanted to use it for.

... Oh, and if a "vintage" human is 40... Sheesh, I guess I'm an antique.

I had a talk yesterday with the guy at the Legendary Buffalo Chip campground talking about the Epi sponsorship there and special Chip edition of Epi they're doing there. He was talking about watching a Les Paul vid where in spite of severe arthritis, Les showed incredible technique and talent. And Les was a lot older in that vid than I am now - and one heck of a lot better picker.

m

I agree, unless the norlin gets wet and you get to feel the pancakes.

Norlin LP's have a very distinct feel and tone, espically the 1970 to 1980 models... Plus not all 70 LP Norlins are of the pancake build.

Every Norlin I have owned I've had the frets replaced to what Gibson is using today, and the hump removed from the fretboard, which was a weird trademark of the Norlin builds during the 70's...

I would bet you $1000 if you placed a bone stock 2011 Gibson LPC and a bone stock 1977 LPC in my hands, I could tell the differance in less than 10 seconds of playing them.... And I wouldnt need to plug them in to an amp..... As a matter of fact I would just need to play only one of the guitars.

Archived