Gibson Brands Forums

Is it possible to 'add' neck binding to a fnished Studio ?

EuroAussie

Say you already have a Studio and want to make it more Standard'ish by 'adding neck binding ?

Could you take it to a luthier and have it done, or is it something that can only be done at the orginal construction phase ?

Im asking because I'm somewhat keen to have this done to my Les Paul Studio. I just really like the neck binding on Les Pauls, to me its one of the signature visual features on this model.

I was thinking of taking it to my local luthier to see if it he could add the binding, as luthiers in this neck of the woods dont charge an arm and a leg. He's also a guitar builder, not just a tech.

However, first wanted to check if such a modification would be possible on my Les Paul Studio.

What are your thougths ?

cheers

Yes it can be done. But don't let anyone work on your guitar unless you can at least see an example of similar work they have already completed. The frets will be pulled out, the fretboard may or may not be leveled just for good measure, then they will take a router and a jig and cut a ledge around the fretboard edge. They will then glue on and clamp the binding. They will then either re-install your old frets, or more likely start with a fresh refret ( which will be expensive! ). The amount of money you will spend with this process may not be worth it to you, as you could probably take the same money and your old guitar and trade for a good used Standard :P It is never a good idea to hack up any USA made guitar.

Yes it can be done. But don't let anyone work on your guitar unless you can at least see an example of similar work they have already completed. The frets will be pulled out, the fretboard may or may not be leveled just for good measure, then they will take a router and a jig and cut a ledge around the fretboard edge. They will then glue on and clamp the binding. They will then either re-install your old frets, or more likely start with a fresh refret ( which will be expensive! ). The amount of money you will spend with this process may not be worth it to you, as you could probably take the same money and your old guitar and trade for a good used Standard :P It is never a good idea to hack up any USA made guitar.

Well said. Wait until you want/need a refret then think about it...

+1

I would either trade it in for a Standard, or just keep it & buy a Standard. Most likely the 2nd option, assuming I could afford it. I also doubt that the extra $$ invested in the Studio could ever be returned because, IMHO, it wouldn't increase the value of the guitar. Just something to think about. cheers

yeah its not cost effective at all to get that sort of work done.

I really like headstock binding like on the customs but IMHO not worth it. Definately a good topic though an one that many people have thought about but not asked.

Say you already have a Studio and want to make it more Standard'ish by 'adding neck binding ?

Could you take it to a luthier and have it done, or is it something that can only be done at the orginal construction phase ?

Im asking because I'm somewhat keen to have this done to my Les Paul Studio. I just really like the neck binding on Les Pauls, to me its one of the signature visual features on this model.

I was thinking of taking it to my local luthier to see if it he could add the binding, as luthiers in this neck of the woods dont charge an arm and a leg. He's also a guitar builder, not just a tech.

However, first wanted to check if such a modification would be possible on my Les Paul Studio.

What are your thougths ?

cheers

A cheap, safe, and reversible way is to simply have "binding" painted on. I'm sure your local luthier could make it look pretty convincing.

Archived