Gibson Brands Forums

how much does what you listen to affect what you play?

chris.

if you only listen to one style of music lets say country, can you effectively play another without bringing in elements of the one you listen too? lets say metal? how much does what you listen to effect how and what you play?

I actually play a lot of different kinds of music...but they all sound like I'm playin' them, rather than a clone of the oritinal song. (does that make sense to everyone?)

i complettly understand i tend to lean more towards that view when covering other peoples stuff

This is why I loved the Beatles growing up. They incorporated so many different styles into their albums and it taught me how to be versatile as well. The guitar never ever gets boring for me whether I'm working on rockabilly, rock, country, RnB, funk, jazz or blues.msp_thumbup.gif

I have a FIRM rule....I never play anything I haven't heard before!

This is hard! I have tried a couple songs I havent heard or only heard once or twice and yeah I gave up without a feel for the artists timing and stuff it just doesnt work for me. I try not to let the music I listen to influence me but if I am playing lets say some classic rock and I have that hankering to play some metal I have to stop and play it or else the hankering wont stop, kinda like when you have a song stuck in your head you gotta listen to it to get it out.

I actually play a lot of different kinds of music...but they all sound like I'm playin' them, rather than a clone of the oritinal song. (does that make sense to everyone?)

Fully understand. I listen to a very broad range of music. I feel I absorb lots of it to a greater or lesser extent.

When I play, I try to play "my" way (though I'm not sure what that is, exactly). But, quite often, I hear a phrase, riff or lick and then just noddle around that. I VERY rarely try to learn a song like the original, but I know people who do and that's fine for them.

Fully understand. I listen to a very broad range of music. I feel I absorb lots of it to a greater or lesser extent.

When I play, I try to play "my" way (though I'm not sure what that is, exactly). But, quite often, I hear a phrase, riff or lick and then just noddle around that. I VERY rarely try to learn a song like the original, but I know people who do and that's fine for them.

I TOTALLY get that! Who wants to hear Otis Redding or Devo do The Stones Version of "Satisfaction"?

Archived