Gibson Brands Forums

influence & genres

chris.

This beautiful, tired old biddy, finally out to pasture and I don't think working much anymore, resting as he deserves some in this life too:

dickey.jpg

I love you very much.

rct

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i feel the same way about alot of scremo bands i dont see the point in scremo but alot of the times they have decent guitar riffs

Screamo is just garbage in my opinion, my buddy loves a band called August Burns Red, he is always sending me youtube links for it, anyways I listened to one of there songs the intro was just music sounded nice and heavy and then the dude let out a shrill scream and kept on screaming the lyrics so I proceeded to close my browser. Even the gutteral vocals (cookie monster) from metal get commonly done wrong, vocals are by far the hardest thing to get right for most metal bands, then of course you get the melodic death metal that has sick guitars (and is my fave genre of metal) which can be really hard as I am learning with the following video, been trying to learn it for a while, but its HARD!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2zrb-jdF5E&feature=related

Thats my type of metal, infact been in love with his band since 2006, amazingly music for ONE man to have created, yup that one little dude wrote it ALL. His first album debuted at #21 on the Billboard 200 and was the highest charting death metal album until it was overtaken by his second album...funny how a cartoon trumped all the work that soo many bands did for several years! Probably has something to do with going to Berklee as well though.

blink 182, social distortion, alkaline trio, the gaslight anthem, mxpx, switchfoot, relient k.

remember, i'm only 24, so i wasnt into clapton or beck or any of the 'greats' while growing up. i do like listening to them now however, along with BB king, joe bonamassa, bob dylan and elvis costello.

my grandparents liked classic country/western and SRV

my dad likes zz top, led zep, gnr.

my mom likes janis joplin

It's hard to say, varied as my tastes are.

I think, when it comes down to it, mostly Johnny Winter, Rory Gallagher, Tim Hardin, Matt Pike (during his Sleep days,) Tony Iommi, Marty Friedman, Dave Mustaine, Eric Daniels (from Asphyx) and Barry Thompson (from Bolt Thrower.) I know that's a big list, but I'm sure I could come up with twice as many if I thought about it... [blink]

I probably learned the most about music from J. S. Bach. I started playing music in 1955 so most of the influences mentioned were not even alive. As far as playing guitar influences, probably Carlos Montoya and my buddy David who was a player in 1958 in the 7th grade. My high school band teacher taught us a lot about music theory. John Fahey had an early influence on my playing style. Jimi had a big influence on how I regard and approach music, eyes and ears wide open. If asked who I most would like to play like, Kottke is the the answer I will most often have.

For me it was Gershwin and Mozart (started on piano). Then Moving Pictures came out and it was Lifeson. In the middle 80's I saw SRV (stood 10 feet from him) and he blew me away. These days I'm listening to Joe Pass.

Individuals: Slash, Jimmy Page, Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Randy Rhoads

Bands: Guns N' Roses, Aerosmith, Pink Floyd, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Bon Jovi

They would be my biggest influences overall, plenty other bands etc. that I'm into.

Influences?

Too many but mainly:

Slash

David Gilmour

Steve Vai

Joe Satriani

Angus Young

Jerry Cantrell

Arjen Lucassen

John Petrucci

Michael Amott

Brian May