Gibson Brands Forums

influence & genres

chris.

Jeff Tweedy

Dallas Green

Jack White

Nels Cline

Dave Grohl

I try to have the song writing skills of Tweedy and Green, mixed with the choruses that Grohl can write and play with the emotion of White while having the control of Cline. If I could pull it off, I would be a bajillionaire, but those are my main inspirations

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

George Harrison was the reason I picked up guitar, and Eric Clapton and Carlos Santana became the greatest influences on my style. These days I mostly play jazz, and Kenny Burrell is my current idol. I love the music of the Gershwins, Joe Zawinul, Miles Davis, Bill Evans, and Wayne Shorter.

I was gonna just leave this thread alone since it appeared most responses were heavy on what an old guy like me considers "current" rock.

Then I saw Rocketman's "Joe Pass."

Yup. He was in that odd age difference from me that he was really too young to likely be in my parents' age group, but enough older that certain style influences hit him a lot harder than they hit me - especially bop. OTHO, given he did that jazz fingerstyle thing about 1,973 percent better than I do the same concept, I learn something everytime I watch a Pass vid or listen to a Pass solo performance.

I was brought up in a family that enjoyed a wide range of musical styles, and I had a huge old tube radio with an antenna that let me hear AM stuff most kids around me couldn't hear back in the '50s.

So in ways, I'd say that swing played a major role in my musical perspectives. That was kinda repressed in my folkie, bluegrass, rock, country and later "cowboy" musical interations, but the older I get the more I hear chords and such from an era that technically was over before I was around to hear it.

I heard some blues stuff on the radio, acoustic and electric, back in the 1950s. Doowop was basically swing chords with more of a rock and then-current dance beat. Chuck Berry? All I can say is that if I could find a way to listen, I did. Ventures, surf and Duane Eddy no big deal to me at all.

Then there were the folkie days of my last two high school and first cupla years of college.

Bottom line is that when I'm playing just for me, I mostly try to do on guitar what I'd do with a keyboard in terms of getting those nice fat swing chords, 30s, 40s and 50s "standards" converted for guitar. I probably should simplify more and do more vocals for the occasional gig I do, although one I'll do a repeat on this year will be basically boom-chuck root chords along with a batch of elementary school kids.

That bit of "simplify it and make the audiences happy" tends to remind me that hitting 9ths and 13ths and jazzy passing chords or fancy blues riffs doesn't mean beans to an average listener who just wants something fun to hear and something that makes their toes tap. You'd think at my age I would have learned that lesson long, long ago. @#$%@#%@#$

m

Well my biggest influence has been the Beatles. They made me wanna be a musician since I was 4 yrs old and watched them on Sullivan.

As for individual guitarist number one is Clapton and then the list gets kinda eclectic.

Chicago's Terry Kath

Car's Elliott Easton

Pat Benatar's Neil Giraldo

Floyd's Dave Gilmour

Archived