Gibson Brands Forums

change pickups epi les paul standard '96

Daniel Sanchez

Hello my friends,

I have been playing with my epi les paul standard since 1996 with no problems at all. It has the original mics that came with it, in fact I have not changed a thing but the strings in all this years.

Recently it came to my mind the idea of changing the bridge mic for a better one. I'm not a pro and I just play for fun with my friends. The kind of music I play is rock, indie and punk, and bands like the killers, the kooks, kings of leon, blink 182, foo fighters, nirvana, etc..

Said that, I have seen this 2 mics on ebay and can't decide wich one to choose becuse I have never heard them.

- Seymour Duncan Alnico Pro II

- Gibson Dirty Fingers

Wich one do you think will be the best for me considering my influences in music.

I'm sorry about my english, I'm from Ecuador, South America.

Thank you.

I have a crate 30w at home, nothing fancy. In the studio we use a marshall cabinet but don't know wich model, all i know is that it sounds great. I'm just looking for a nicer sound, i know epi mics are good but not the greatest and these ones have 15 years so maybe i should change at least the one i use the most.

I have a crate 30w at home, nothing fancy. In the studio we use a marshall cabinet but don't know wich model, all i know is that it sounds great. I'm just looking for a nicer sound, i know epi mics are good but not the greatest and these ones have 15 years so maybe i should change at least the one i use the most.

In my opinion, pickup changes offer only miniscule changes to a rig's overall tone, assuming the pickups are of the same type (in your case, humbuckers). But if you're determined to do the proposed change, I'd say go with the Duncan, as it'll provide the best overall flexibility compared to the high-output Dirty Fingers.

I have played the Tom Delong ES-333 with a Dirty Fingers and I think it may be just what you are looking for to get the pop-punk sound. It is a little thin, and a little harsh for my taste, but I play more classic and country sounding rock. The clean tones are probably not as warm as your current pickups. But the Dirty Fingers will overdive very easily.

me, too.

Nobody feels the need to say a simple 'Welcome' [thumbdn]

I doubt the OP will come back.......

Hmmmmmm.... We generally have a reputation for being decent folks, but

can occasionally have an off day. Pretty rare nowdays. Let's hope for the

Come on back, good Sir. [blush][blush][blush]

And Welcome. REALLY!

I don't pay any attention to "votes"...anyhoo, I agree with the pedal suggestion, if you've been using the stock pickups all these years, I'd just get a pedal, or try to find a deal on a multi-effects pedal, I just got a Digitech RP250 for 70 bucks (actually traded a 50 dollar guitar for it), and couldn't be happier.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, thank you all for the replies. I really can't decide for the pickups, I was just a clic to buy the Seymour Duncan JB SH-4 but then I started to think what about a gibson pickup similar to the JB SH4??. About the pedal/s I'm actually buying a line 6 pod (hasn't decide which one yet).

Or it will be better to buy just the line 6? :s

Archived