Gibson Brands Forums

calling all gecko bursts! My peoples where you at?

justbass4

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have never seen them in the flesh... Some guitars can look like crap in a photo but nice in real life.... Its nice to own something different.... Even if it looks like a sidewalk pizza on a Saturday night..

Flight959

• 1 year later...

Old thread, but a new post and for me a new topic.

Until yesterday I had never actually seen a 'gecko burst' in real life. I had seen a number of photos, read lots of opposing views and opinions - both for the colour, but sadly mainly against it, during my few days of research.

Allow me then, to introduce my newly acquired 2005 Gibson LP Standard in the amazing 'gecko burst'. This really is a very pretty guitar, regardless of its colour, and is in tip-top condition.

I had absolutely no doubts about buying it, once I had actually seen it, handled it and heard it.

Yesterday I drove for over seven hours in order to see the guitar and possibly buy it from its original owner. I knew more or less what to expect - or thought I did. I was not one bit disappointed. This is not my first Les Paul and I am not easily overwhelmed by them. This thing however, just bowled me over. It was a bright sunny day and the sun was shining right into the case when the lid was slowly opened and the black silk cover was pulled back. Wow! This was one Les Paul I definitely had to own.

Not exactly to everyone's taste I know, but it is different and it is special. It's now mine and I love it!

Enjoy ....

geckofour.jpg

geckoone.jpg

geckofive.jpg

geckosix.jpg

Your 'gecko' seems to be a very good looker too, KL. You need to post more photos - show it off!

These geckos are really something else. Not something I had actually been long planning on owning but something I am now totally thrilled to own.

Thanks! Yes I love my Gecko. Mine is a 2004 one.

Someone else was looking for a Gecko here on the forum a while ago and I found him one which he said he was going to buy, but I haven't heard anything since.

• 2 weeks later...

I have two LP's an Artic White Studio w/ Gold HW, and a Cafe Latte Standard. I love both, but I REALLY want a gecko burst. I have been looking for one for 3 years. I know it's not the most popular, but different strokes. Unlike most LP enthusiasts, I am NOT a gold top fan, probably my least favorite finish.

I have two LP's an Artic White Studio w/ Gold HW' date=' and a Cafe Latte Standard. I love both, but I REALLY want a gecko burst. I have been looking for one for 3 years. I know it's not the most popular, but different strokes. Unlike most LP enthusiasts, I am NOT a gold top fan, probably my least favorite finish.[/quote']

Welcome! I have a latte creme LP Standard, too. If you get a chance, let us see some pics of it in a new thread or in the Club of Standards thread.

I REALLY want a gecko burst. I have been looking for one for 3 years.

I found one for the person who started this thread but haven't heard from him since. I was hoping he would post some pictures!

• 4 weeks later...

Love that guitar!!! Amber LP's were my favorite growing up, and that "Mad-Scientist" day glo green is just my favorite color !! This guitar sounds amazing!! Just wish it had a '50 neck, but oh well.

31994_110773455632408_100000992633007_68671_6096017_n.jpg

• 2 months later...

sorry iron mike. thanks so much. I did get it by the way. I own it and play it and love it. I'm blown away my you people. nothing personal, I just don't understand how you can't think this is the coolest finish ever. the other finishes are boring. the ice tea burs literally makes me roll my eyes. I don't understand how anybody could or would want one. The rootbeer finsih is ok. the dessert bursts are ok. The only other finishes I would own are is the latte burst and the various "natural" mahogany finsihses.

I'll post some pictures this sunday. the guitar does have some black smudges on the binding. I don't know how to get them off. the guitar could have been a second or somethingg or the marks could have come from the black coveriing that is inside the case. I don't know. you would think they wouldn't make cases out of material that would bleed into the finish of their guitars. who knows.

• 1 year later...

hello. I want to hear from people who actually own these. It's my dream guitar. that's right: I said it. the much disparaged gecko burst. I want one. where can I get one? Are there any old stocks still unsold in a warehouse or

in the back of a music store or perhaps hanging on a wall somewhere?

Oh well, I'd like to at least hear from those of you who own one, what you think about it. Especially those of you who have more than one lp and can compare the two ( a "normal" les paul vrs a gecko burst ).

I tried one in the shop in 2004,wanted it,but couldnt really justify buying it.I kept thinking about it and last year(2010) was determined to find one.I live in UK and sourced a 2004 in Italy which I purchased without trying it.All was well as it arrived safely ...phew!You can see and hear it at

Sorry about the playing.

Archived