Gibson Brands Forums

bassist & bass guitars

chris.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love the sound of a Ric but I don't like the feel of the neck. If it's got a wide flat neck like a P-Bass I can usually get into it. The only bass Gibson ever made that I liked was The Ripper.

Milt Hinton and Carol Kaye...

Hinton especially... He was doing slap bass before most slap bass players were born - perhaps before their parents were born.

Milt was class act respected by other legends. This is one when he was older than doodoo and gives some insight into a sense of humor, talent and professionalism that made him, to me, THE bass player.

It's not his fanciest bass playing, but more insight into an old pro talking about his years in the biz.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNMvIUQw2kY&feature=related

My favourite bassists are the OX and Paul McCartney-how Paul could sing melody and play those complicated bass lines while he was singing never ceased to amaze me.I have a Vox Astro IV model V-273 violin bass with built in fuzz,treble/bass boost and G-tuner.This bass has a neck as slim as a broomstick and the action is super low all the way down the neck,it's just a dream to play.

Who is it? Don't recognize him.

Carl Radle. On the Dominos live things he is the coal along with Whitlocks water fueling Gordons steam loco that Eric could barely hang with. He also did metric tonnes of other things with loads of peoples. I was lucky to see him a couple times with Eric for them One In Every Crowd shows and I think 461 as well.

rct

No one has said Les Claypool yet, he's a visionary, IMO.

Edit: I just noticed Andy mentioned him, I guess great minds think alike :) x2 on the Geezer and Entwhistle, also.

Ohhhh yes I did. [thumbup]

Milt Hinton and Carol Kaye...

Hinton especially... He was doing slap bass before most slap bass players were born - perhaps before their parents were born.

Milt was class act respected by other legends. This is one when he was older than doodoo and gives some insight into a sense of humor, talent and professionalism that made him, to me, THE bass player.

It's not his fanciest bass playing, but more insight into an old pro talking about his years in the biz.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNMvIUQw2kY&feature=related

Very nice!

I'll have to put Cachao right there if we're going to include standup bass.

Nothing at all against modern electric bass players. I've done a little myself so I have no inclination to suggest they neither know nor care about good playing.

But I also have a hunch that a lotta the old slap fiddle players from the swing and 50s era in all styles of combos have tended to have musicians with a broader set of skills and knowledge of music than they're credited with.

I remember watching Sunnyland Slim's blues band in concert in the early '60s and the bass player had expected an electric, but since he'd trained originally on the upright, after a bit of complaint proceeded to have at it with a miked upright. Nowadays most bass players in rock/country/jazz sorts of combos tend to have begun either with guitar or electric bass. I'm sure there are exceptions especially in communities where Bluegrass and other acoustic styles are common - but that's likely a minority.

Bottom line, I guess, is that even the basic concepts of plucked bass playing and plucked bass lines owe everything to the old slapfiddle guys.

m

Good basses...Rickenbacker, Fender P and J

I love my Fender Jazz Fretless...

Great bassists

Jaco Pastorius

Carol Kaye

Sting

Paul McCartney

Jack Bruce

John Paul Jones

Ray Brown

Niels Pederson