Gibson Brands Forums

guitar picks and guitar necks

chris.

Round here we usually have rednecks... [tongue] I like the charvel necks a bit wide, not to thin but pretty flat on the back. Like the neck on my SG too....Can't stand the necks on the EVH guitars.... to round.....

This has been done before.... but since I was a bass player, I gravitated to the Fender 355 pick (Heavy).

In the lean years, I cut up the credit cards and made picks from them....then my BIL bought be a gross of them maybe 20 years ago...... I'm almost out now....but still have maybe a dozen scattered about in different cases.

imageresize.aspx?img=10659355T.jpg&w=350&h=350

I generally use medium thickness picks. I'll take Fender Medium if available because they are easy to find and consistent in strength. I prefer them to be white colored, as I play on a few dark stages. I don't drop them often, but when I do, white is easier to locate.

I don't know how much they affect tone, but I do know they affect articulation. They mediums allow me to play pretty mellow on the soft songs and still have some bite for the rockers.

But guitar is my 7th and newest instrument, so I don't have a lifetime of experience on that instrument.

Notes ♫

chris

I'm going to start merging some of your threads that are similar....

You have quite the job ahead of you [biggrin]

I am actually starting to prefer Fender necks. I know, I know, don't kill me. I have been playing a lot of acoustic lately, and the neck on there is very similar to my Fender. Its the most comfortable neck I have ever played on

You have quite the job ahead of you [biggrin]

I am actually starting to prefer Fender necks. I know, I know, don't kill me. I have been playing a lot of acoustic lately, and the neck on there is very similar to my Fender. Its the most comfortable neck I have ever played on

i like the the profile of my fender but i just whish it had a shorter scale length

Don't care, a neck is a neck to me.

I agree, I never really had much issues playing on different necks, I will say the fastest feeling neck I have played is on my explorer, but that baseball neck that comes on some Les Paul's, and like my acoustic has, feels great as well.

SnarlingDogs.jpg

I use the green .60mm and the purple .53mm. I love the grippy things on these picks.

I also use the Green .53mm. I think you've got your guages backwards, I have two green ones in my pocket.

As for how it affects my tone, the answer is tremendously. I hold the pick sideways and use the grip area for contact with the strings. I turn it and use the top edge to get squeal or when I scratch the strings. I lighten up on my grip when I want a mellow clean sound with "feather contact" with the strings. Sometimes I finger pick, but rarely.

Archived