Gibson Brands Forums

1978 Gibson Les Paul Pro Deluxe......Or Is It?

mac75

Guys, just picked up the Gibson Les Paul Deluxe. Was described as a 1978 model, however, serial number comes back as a 1977(serial stamped into back of headstock). I know Gibson made a model called the "Pro Deluxe" that had the P90s, maple neck and top(like this does)starting in 1978. Can I assume that they used a leftover neck from 1977, or is there another explanation? I have seen other Pro Deluxe models, but they say "Pro" instead of "Deluxe" on the truss rod cover. The guitar appears all original with no extra holes or funny business. Any help would be appreciated. It is a great guitar, that's one thing I'm sure of!

I think I have the model narrowed down, as someone told me this was a regular Deluxe that had the pickups changed from the mini humbuckers to the DiMarzio P90s. Apparently, I could re-install mini humbuckers in it with no modifications needed.

• 3 weeks later...

Guys, just picked up the Gibson Les Paul Deluxe. Was described as a 1978 model, however, serial number comes back as a 1977(serial stamped into back of headstock). I know Gibson made a model called the "Pro Deluxe" that had the P90s, maple neck and top(like this does)starting in 1978. Can I assume that they used a leftover neck from 1977, or is there another explanation? I have seen other Pro Deluxe models, but they say "Pro" instead of "Deluxe" on the truss rod cover. The guitar appears all original with no extra holes or funny business. Any help would be appreciated. It is a great guitar, that's one thing I'm sure of!

I believe Dimarzio's first replacement pickup for the P90 was called a DLX-1 (available only in creme)and were advertised as a "twin humbucker replacement for the Les Paul Deluxe"... they were comparable to a super distortion....Now they make several P90 sized replacements (the DLX-1 had the same specs as a DP154)... The Les Paul Pro models were ebony & had creme P90's vs Deluxe's chrome mini-humbuckers.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 years later...