Gibson Brands Forums

After Market Bridges & Tailpeices reviews?

Angellus

Hi

I am thinking of upgrading my bridge an tailpeice (LP Trad) with an aftermarket set.

First thought is Tone-Pros locking bridge an tailpeice

has anyone upgraded? was their significant differences making it worthwhile

any other combinations that worked great on your guitar?

thanks

Jay

Man, it's a small world. My name is Jay too. I own a 08' trad, 04' SG standard. (I didn't like the orig.pups so I dropped in p 90's awesome!) Anyways, as far as the bridge and tail piece saga goes. Save your doe man. A friend of mine who is a total gear whore, sold me a Tonepros set for fifty bucks. So, I dropped it in my SG. I didn't have my LP at the time. No noticable tonal change at all. The custom shop as well as the original 58' and 59's get an aluminum tail. My take on it is it's a selling tool. Tonepros has little allen screws that hold it in place. I don't think anything is gonna move when you have 6 strings up to pitch. I love my trad. and it sounds great with the stock bridge and tail. I spent so much coin learning about tone and what I was looking for. Keep it simple. Hell, Eddie Van Halen spent 140 bucks on his guitar. I really dig the paf he gave birth to. But I am a blues and heavy rock man at heart. Billy F Gibbons is my mentor. Rock on.

Save your doe man. A friend of mine who is a total gear whore, sold me a Tonepros set for fifty bucks. So, I dropped it in my SG. I didn't have my LP at the time. No noticable tonal change at all.

Yeah, that can happen but just because you didn't notice a difference in your friend's guitar doesn't mean this guy won't. Each guitar is different and some upgrades don't actually do anything on some guitars. I've had that happen to me with capacitors and the same capacitors made a huge difference in another guitar.

Save your doe man. A friend of mine who is a total gear whore, sold me a Tonepros set for fifty bucks. So, I dropped it in my SG. I didn't have my LP at the time. No noticable tonal change at all.

I'll second that (although I have no idea what a female deer has to do with it)! If ever there was something to be taken with a grain (or more) of salt, it would be claims made by the guitar aftermarket.

thnks for you feedback.

I was at my local boutique shop on Saturday and looked at tonepro's and Callaham. agreed the Callaham is expensive at £110. but I was told Callaham is far superior machined than tonepro's.

I hear what your saying regarding aftermarket parks making/not making a huge difference. Some upgrades I have done such as caps had dramatic changes in some guitars and very subtle in others. But then the man himself Les Paul constantly tinkered with his les paul experimenting different possibilities and was a pioneer in music technology as well as the Les Paul, The very reason for the control cavities being on the back of the guitar.

........I suppose £110 for a guitar bridge to tinker with didnt make too much of an impact on his wallet as it would mine though!

Archived