Gibson Brands Forums

Remembering some great music...

larryp58

I was digging around in my vast collection of CD's (and albums if any of you remember what those are!!!). I'm always looking for new songs to play with the bluegrass band that I play with. I like the classic stuff, but I love to arrange those "classic" rock songs for "pickin' and grinnin'". Anyway, I came upon a CD that I had long forgotten. I popped it in and it was like hearing it all over again. I heard new tones and runs, chord progressions and harmony that I've never picked up on before. Ya know, good music never gets old. It's just as relevant today as it was years ago. The CD that I was listening to is "The Mountain" by Steve Earle & the Del McCoury Band. A CD where every song is good. Excellent songwriting combined with excellent musicians. I highly recommend it! If you're not a bluegrass lover, this CD will most likely change your mind! Anyway, my thoughts of the day!

I have a couple of boots of Earle shows with the McCoury band and the Bluegrass Dukes. In my eyes Steve Earle can do no wrong - one of the best singer/songwriters of our time who always puts on a good show no matter what style of music he is playing at the moment.

I always loved Earle, and I've known Del for years. Love his singing and what a great band. I originally thought that a Del/Earle pairing would be an odd mix, but it's good. It's similar to the Robert Plant/Alison Krauss thing. Sometimes, two worlds don't collide-they blend magically.

Earl's intention to write new songs in the BG tradition is a good one. The juice from new writing keeps the traditions going; more so, to my mind, than instrumental flash or complex vocal harmonizing. It's unfortunate that the 'what" of Steve Earle (rock backing, bad habits), may keep his contributions from being readily accepted.

Anyway, check out The Mountain and catch Steve and the Bluegrass Dukes if he hits the road with 'em. The show I saw with them in Portland was one of the best.

• 2 weeks later...

I was digging around in my vast collection of CD's (and albums if any of you remember what those are!!!). I'm always looking for new songs to play with the bluegrass band that I play with. I like the classic stuff, but I love to arrange those "classic" rock songs for "pickin' and grinnin'". Anyway, I came upon a CD that I had long forgotten. I popped it in and it was like hearing it all over again. I heard new tones and runs, chord progressions and harmony that I've never picked up on before. Ya know, good music never gets old. It's just as relevant today as it was years ago. The CD that I was listening to is "The Mountain" by Steve Earle & the Del McCoury Band. A CD where every song is good. Excellent songwriting combined with excellent musicians. I highly recommend it! If you're not a bluegrass lover, this CD will most likely change your mind! Anyway, my thoughts of the day!

Many thanks Larry, I ordered this CD "blind" after your post & it arrived from the US on Friday. I played it at the weekend as I was driving a lot & absolutely love it! Every track a winner but particurlay like "Dixieland".

Many thanks Larry, I ordered this CD "blind" after your post & it arrived from the US on Friday. I played it at the weekend as I was driving a lot & absolutely love it! Every track a winner but particurlay like "Dixieland".

Glad you enjoy it, Lefty! A really great CD. I've always loved Steve Earle. His collabaration with The Del McCoury Band is a good one. Kinda like Robert Plant and Allison Krauss.

Huh! I seem to have missed this thread the first time around. This sounds like a 'must-have' for me. Thanks for the review Larry.

And Passthej45, couldn't agree with you more on the JTE thing. His new Cd Harlem River Blues is incredible.

There are some fine new bands exploring the mix of bluegrass instrumentation and Dylan-inspired writing. Old Crow Meds Show (of course) but also Chatham County Line and Yonder Mt String Band Catch'em on Pandaora or ytube.

+1 on The Old Crow Medicine Show!

Archived