Gibson Brands Forums

Amps...

Riptide

I really like the AC15cc1. Great Normal channel, which you can also push to get a little overdriven tone, and the Top Boost side is awesome. My only beef with the amp was the speaker. It's not bad, but there are much better speaker options for not much more money.

Hey, not sure how many of you remember this but I had a post a while back about amps but I never ended up getting anything... I've been using a friends amp but I think I'm finally about ready (and have almost the money) to get my self an amp. Right now I'm okaying a Epi LP Goldtop Reissue w/P-90s.

Here's what I'm looking for in the amp (oh, and it must be all tube). Yes, I realize I can't achieve all of these goals.

1. Something in the $500 area give or take.

2. I want something really warm and bright.

3. I can't use anything too laud... I'm thinking 15watts would be good

4. Something with a great clean sound that reacts well with pedals.

(these aren't as important but would still be nice)

5. Good sounding driven sound... I like a really smooth drive. (think Fender Bassman type of drive)

6. Something that doesn't have a volume control.. I like the old style amps that you just have one knob you turn up to get the gain. (it just sounds so much better to my ears)

So I'm going to go to Guitar Center sometime and check out different amps but I want to know which ones particularly to check out. Any Suggestions?

Here's a few I thought of:

Vox AC15

Fender Blues Junior (or other Fender amps)

Marshall Class 5

Vox Nighttrain

Mesa Boogie Transatlantic (realistically this is out of my price range but it sounds great)

I've only tried the AC15 and Transatlantic out of that list, either one would be a good choice in my opinion. You could always save a bit longer and look for the Transatlantic 15w on the used market.

Vox AC4TV 4W 1x10 Tube Guitar Combo Amp i tried this thing out guitar center great sound all tube it can get louder than you think it would but its not gunna kill you i would look into this only 250$ and its not master volume like you want

DV016_Jpg_Large_476326.146_cream_V.jpg

Yeah I was looking at this thing the first time round... and I was really liking it but I figured since my budget is like $500 why not go for an AC15?

I really like the AC15cc1. Great Normal channel, which you can also push to get a little overdriven tone, and the Top Boost side is awesome. My only beef with the amp was the speaker. It's not bad, but there are much better speaker options for not much more money.

I thought they had Greenbacks in there?? Which are supposedly really good..

I thought they had Greenbacks in there?? Which are supposedly really good..

The AC15CC1 (custom classic) has the Wharfdale GSH12-30, but the AC15C1 (custom) has a Celestion Greenback. Greenbacks do sound really good.

Is it just me or does this thread not help the OP at all? Almost every single person here has told him to get a different amp! How is that supposed to help him make up his mind!? msp_flapper.gif

LOL... At least I posted sound demos of my under $500 VOX [biggrin] LOL

I've said before and will time and again, I think amps are quite personal and the commentary here confirms that.

Since I'm mostly a "clean sound" guy, frankly I nowadays tend to figure that the speaker may have as much or more to do with sound as anything.

But in the current rock and country environment, I think one must note that some tube amps don't work well with some stomp boxes. Some tube amps are so big, as has been mentioned, that they have to break windows to hit a perceived "sweet spot." Tubes inherently are less reliable than equal quality ss.

Meanwhile "We" are suiting ourselves and there's been little mention here of what an audience actually hears in various size and shape venues.

I know this old man harps on that all the time, but I think too often we make our amp choices for reasons that have little to do with connecting to an audience.

We've all heard and/or seen vids of various combos, including of members here, that show a fine bit of talent - but the sound is to me a mess and you've got to work to hear the skill and talent of the players.

I think that with current technology it's almost a crime for a band to sound mushy a mere 30 to 50 feet away outdoors or even closer in a smaller saloon type venue.

That's why my current main amp is a little 30-watt acoustic electric, and the big 120-watt tube jobbie functions mostly as a table with even a little ss PA getting more use.

m

Is it just me or does this thread not help the OP at all? Almost every single person here has told him to get a different amp! How is that supposed to help him make up his mind!? msp_flapper.gif

Haha, no it's been help full because in the end I'm just going to play a bunch and get whatever sounds right... I just wanted to know where to start looking.

I've said before and will time and again, I think amps are quite personal and the commentary here confirms that.

Since I'm mostly a "clean sound" guy, frankly I nowadays tend to figure that the speaker may have as much or more to do with sound as anything.

But in the current rock and country environment, I think one must note that some tube amps don't work well with some stomp boxes. Some tube amps are so big, as has been mentioned, that they have to break windows to hit a perceived "sweet spot." Tubes inherently are less reliable than equal quality ss.

Meanwhile "We" are suiting ourselves and there's been little mention here of what an audience actually hears in various size and shape venues.

I know this old man harps on that all the time, but I think too often we make our amp choices for reasons that have little to do with connecting to an audience.

We've all heard and/or seen vids of various combos, including of members here, that show a fine bit of talent - but the sound is to me a mess and you've got to work to hear the skill and talent of the players.

I think that with current technology it's almost a crime for a band to sound mushy a mere 30 to 50 feet away outdoors or even closer in a smaller saloon type venue.

That's why my current main amp is a little 30-watt acoustic electric, and the big 120-watt tube jobbie functions mostly as a table with even a little ss PA getting more use.

m

which is why modlers are great what you hear is what they hear and the sound doesnt change with the weather and it can be as loud or quite as it needs to be and you dont have to worry about what stompboxes you use with them oh and extra extra plus they are a whole lot easier to carry around [thumbup] and you can get a nice modler in the 500 dollar range i would suggest either the rp 1000 or the the topline hd serious from line 6

I'm addicted to small tube Amps and have quite a few including most of the Amps you listed. I don't own the Marshall because I have a 18 watt 1974 that gives me everything I want in a small Marshall. Out of the ones you have listed my favorite is the transatlantic which gets probably 50%of my playing time lately.

Small Amp closet #2

IMG_0440.jpg

Oh snap, I am jealous! What type of amp is on the top shelf in the middle (red face), and the bottom shelf on the left (not the Epi)

There is so many little 5-15W that you really have to try each one out that fits your style, but as I said before the best lunchbox I feel is the transatlantic but it does have a price tag of double most of its competitors. I fell in love with lunchboxes after playing a Tiny Terror and for me I dont think I would go any other way, a full size 100W head is just too much juice for my needs; however if I were to go down that road I think I would either buy (a real) or build (a clone) of a Marshall Plexi.

If I could only have one amp it would NOT be a tube amp. Far too limeted in what they can do for me. Is your mom gonna let you crank it up all the time? Are the neighbors gonna call the cops? Lucky for me I can have more than one amp. [thumbup]

If I could only have one amp it would NOT be a tube amp. Far too limeted in what they can do for me. Is your mom gonna let you crank it up all the time? Are the neighbors gonna call the cops? Lucky for me I can have more than one amp. [thumbup]

Might be able to crank the Class 5...maybe, its pretty loud too. Maybe one of them all tube 0.5W amp pedals would do the trick for all tube sound :P

Archived