Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Classic Faded

cookieman15061

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought one today I'll be happy to do a review on youtube and here for everyone.

From what I could tell in the pictures they are normal O.o

I think it's just the same as the classic just with faded finish.

But I will for sure get back to you when I receive it later this week.

Ink stamped?

The seller (Craigslist) changed pictures so the shot I was trying to read the serial number from is no longer one of them. I did find an identical one in a 2003 catalogue: http://www.zzounds.com/item--GIBLPCL3

His ad with the three pictures he does have is here: http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/msg/2539761650.html ...for the moment.

I sent him an e-mail to verify the serial number as well as asking whether it's stamped. He's a bit of a drive from where I am so I'd hate to go out there and see it close and only to find something suspicious or wrong.

-ken

I'm attaching one of the three shots from his ad as well.

post-35026-098998600 1313002212_thumb.jpg

The seller (Craigslist) changed pictures so the shot I was trying to read the serial number from is no longer one of them. I did find an identical one in a 2003 catalogue: http://www.zzounds.com/item--GIBLPCL3

His ad with the three pictures he does have is here: http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/msg/2539761650.html ...for the moment.

I sent him an e-mail to verify the serial number as well as asking whether it's stamped. He's a bit of a drive from where I am so I'd hate to go out there and see it close and only to find something suspicious or wrong.

-ken

I'm attaching one of the three shots from his ad as well.

Well it looks legit from what I can see in the picture. I'm not to keen on Les Paul Classics.

I know ones from 2000-2001 for sure had ink stamps and I'm pretty sure they have been doing it since 2005. The 2000 ones don't even have a made in USA stamp...so it's very hard to tell if it's genuine.

I'm not sure if the newer ones have it though...I'd hope not since they are really easy to fake.

Well it looks legit from what I can see in the picture. I'm not to keen on Les Paul Classics.

I know ones from 2000-2001 for sure had ink stamps and I'm pretty sure they have been doing it since 2005. The 2000 ones don't even have a made in USA stamp...so it's very hard to tell if it's genuine.

I'm not sure if the newer ones have it though...I'd hope not since they are really easy to fake.

He just sent me this picture. It looks stamped. So far all the fakes I've seen and heard of have not had the neck binding done correctly so hopefully I'd be able to tell from that. Whay are the Classics serial numbered different from other Les Paul's anyway? He want $1800 cash which I couldn't give him today anyway as the banks are already closed, but I am tempted to go look at it once the traffic dies down.

-ken

post-35026-017563100 1313023166_thumb.jpg

He just sent me this picture. It looks stamped. So far all the fakes I've seen and heard of have not had the neck binding done correctly so hopefully I'd be able to tell from that. Whay are the Classics serial numbered different from other Les Paul's anyway? He want $1800 cash which I couldn't give him today anyway as the banks are already closed, but I am tempted to go look at it once the traffic dies down.

-ken

Found this at Gibson support and it jives with this (035547) being a 2003 model:

Les Paul Classic: This model features an ink stamped serial number with no "MADE IN USA" (just as we used on the original 1952-1960 Les Pauls). Most will be 5 to 6 digits in length, but the earliest examples feature 4 digit serial numbers. There should be a space after the 1st digit with the 4 and 5 digit serial numbers, and no space with the 6 digit numbers.

The 1st digit indicates the year of manufacture for the 4 & 5 digit serial numbers, these were used from 1989-1999. The 1st and 2nd indicate the year of manufacture for the 6 digit serial numbers which we've been using since 2000.

Examples -

9 xxx = 1989 (4 digit number beginning with "9" used only in 1989)

0 xxxx = 1990

9 xxxx = 1999

00xxxx = 2000

05xxxx = 2005

Those beginning with "94":

In 1994, Gibson's Centennial year, many instruments have a serial number that begins with "94" for the year, with the remaining 6 digits indicating the ranking number.

I bought it last night for $1500. I told the seller it was all I had but that I felt he shouldn’t take my offer because if he wasn’t in such a hurry he could definitely get a lot more, but I guess he was in a hurry, though he said he felt I would give it a good home. He was right about that. It was much nicer in real life then I had imagined, and this coming from a guy who owns 5 other Gibson Les Pauls. I’m going to alter the set-up a little but it plays and sounds amazing.

-ken

I noticed this "new"(?!?) addition to the lineup several days ago.....Classic Faded.....hmmmmm

def. worth checking out

just went to MF website.....DAMMITMAN [woot][love] !!.........30 days 'til annual profit-share time.....hope somebody's got them on sale then, I don't have a Black LP yet, but this seems like a really decent deal.

i'm one of the few that actually LIKE the ceramic 496/500 set...good nickel covers and you're set to yowell!

Has anybody seen inside one of the control cavaties yet? are they PCB or "Real LP" wiring & components?

Archived