Gibson Brands Forums

Input on EBay listings request

R0Z

Hi guys/gals, I was looking on EBay last night and found the two guitars listed in the topic desciption for sale. The seller is in England, maybe(the guitars are in the US) and the guitars are selling for only $1300.00 with free shipping. He says he will do the deal through EBay, but I am pretty suspicious.

Knowing that things that look too good to be true usually are, but also being very interested in aquiring either of these guitars(or at that price both of them) I wanted to ask a couple of Qs from the members here.

Do these guitars look like fakes to anyone who knows more about it than me(probably everyone)? The headstock on the Gold Top looks off to me:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GIBSON-CUSTOM-1957-LES-PAUL-GOLDTOP-VOS-ELECTRIC-GUITAR-/280713902897?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item415bda3b31

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2005-GIBSON-LES-PAUL-R9-59-1959-VOS-TIGER-/270787199013?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item3f0c2cc025

Thanks in advance.

Edit**************

My brother sent the links to a guy who collects and sells quality guitars and here was his response:

If you click on the sellers EBay ID you will se he is not from GB but from China. I would run from that dealer as fast as I could, it's obviously a scam at that price. I havent seen a VOS Gibson of that calibre sell for less than 2500, usually more. Besides with all the guitars to choose from here on this continent I would avoid long shipping because of extreme climate & humidity changes.

If you click on the sellers EBay ID you will se he is not from GB but from China. I would run from that dealer as fast as I could, it's obviously a scam at that price. I havent seen a VOS Gibson of that calibre sell for less than 2500, usually more. Besides with all the guitars to choose from here on this continent I would avoid long shipping because of extreme climate & humidity changes. ....

Excellent advice.

The reality is, if he DID have those guitars and wanted to sell them at the price he is asking, he would not need EBAY. He could walk into any guitar store or shop, and sell them that way quite easily.

Chances are VERY slim that you would, find certain guitars in EBAY for such a great discount.

What is not such a slim chance, is that the actual guitars pictured are not what would be sold.

What is not such a slim chance, is that the actual guitars pictured are not what would be sold.

That is scary. So what happens in this case? I've never bought a used guitar but I think that eBay also sells new ones too. Still, I always get mine from the HOG in Rochester. I'm lucky to have a great dealer near me...

Archived