Gibson Brands Forums

I Played The Nicest Guitar Today ... Now With Pics!

midiman56

About a week ago, forum member Dalep started a HNGD thread about his new Epiphone 50th Anniversary 1960 Les Paul. He gave a very concise and fair review of the instrument ... as well as including some great pictures.

During the thread, I mentioned that I had been looking out for a vintage sunburst and that I had been GAS'ing pretty hard for the new Ultra III, but that, based on Dalep's review, I was going to take a close look at the V3. God help me ... I did that today!

This is one of the nicest LP's I've ever held in my hands. It went on lay-away about 30 minutes after I started playing it. It'll have to sit tight for a couple of weeks until I can bring her home, when I'll add my own review/pics. Geeze ... I guess the Ultra III will have to wait a while, but I just couldn't resist this fine axe!

Now the waiting/saving game begins ... at least I can get her out and play her during lunch breaks! [wink]

Jim

Edit: I know how much we all like pictures, so during lunch today I took a few with my phone. I'm really excited about bringing this one home:

Epiphone50thAnniv1960LesPaul01.jpg

Epiphone50thAnniv1960LesPaul02.jpg

Epiphone50thAnniv1960LesPaul03.jpg

Epiphone50thAnniv1960LesPaul04.jpg

J.

About a week ago, forum member Dalep started a HNGD thread about his new Epiphone 50th Anniversary 1960 Les Paul. He gave a very concise and fair review of the instrument ... as well as including some great pictures.

Jim

I found it! Short, but very useable... [thumbup] If you should so feel like it,

please eventually DO your own review/impressions - absolutely nothing wrong

with having multiple inputs on same instrument. Better, actually!

Thanks for pointing it out... I somehow missed it.

About a week ago, forum member Dalep started a HNGD thread about his new Epiphone 50th Anniversary 1960 Les Paul.

I was going to take a close look at the V3. God help me ... I did that today!

This is one of the nicest LP's I've ever held in my hands.

I'm so glad I acquired my Elite Les Paul Standard Plus, otherwise you would drive me nuts [smile] Actually I had the opportunity to check both the V1 and V3 versions of the Epiphone 50th anniversary Les Paul, and even compare it to a number of Gibson Les Pauls, from the Traditional Plain Top up to the Custom Shop 1959 Reissue.

The Epiphone is a great guitar, and I personally would prefer it over the standard range Gibsons. There is of course a noticeable difference to the custom shop 1959 reissues (and other custom shop Les Pauls), but what the heck, the Gibby is 6 times the price tag of the Epi! So if anybody is looking for the "real thing" in a affordable price range I would strongly recommend to check the Epi 50th anniversary Les Paul.

The Epiphone is a great guitar, and I personally would prefer it over the standard range Gibsons.

But what the heck, the Gibby is 6 times the price tag of the Epi!

Ah, so true. [biggrin][biggrin][biggrin]

Economy Rules choices! The $$$$ don't stretch as far as it used to.

Ah, so true. [biggrin][biggrin][biggrin]

Economy Rules choices! The $$$$ don't stretch as far as it used to.

Maybe I should state more precisely: The Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul Standard 1959 is app. 6 times the price tag of the 50th anniversary Epi (app. 3600€ for the Gibby to app. 600€ for the Epi). The Gibson Les Paul Standard from the regular production is app. 3 times the price tag of the Epi (app. 1800€ for the Gibby to app. 600€ for the Epi). That are price tags in Germany, may vary in other countries. However the 50th anniversary Epiphone is so damn close to the "real thing", that I have a problem to justify the extra at least 1200€ for the Gibson. That's not only a consideration of economy, the Epi 50th anniversary is a great guitar on its own, even if you set build quality over price tag.

HN(I hope your wife knows about this) GD Jim [biggrin]

Oh yeah ... showed her the pics this evening too. This being my seventh Les Paul, she is kinda "meh" on the subject ... but what can I say? Love has clearly turned into obsession here! [woot]

Jim

Congrats, Jim- you're certainly on a roll lately.

I love that VSB finish. It's a beaut!

Guitar Centre ought to make you employee of the year. They win both ways with you! It's bad enough logging on here every night and seeing what everybody else has been buying. It surely must be torture working somewhere where beautiful new guitar models are being delivered on a regular basis. You could, of course, eventually sue your employer for not adequately looking after your health and safety. We just need to get GAS to be recognised as a medical condition. Next step would be the opening of a GAS wing at the Betty Ford clinic. [biggrin]

Alan

Congrats on buying a great guitar.I played one a while back at my local guitar store and it was the absolute best Les Paul I ever played Bar None!!!!If I had the money it would've left with me in a heartbeat.

I have one of these that I bought for £425 second hand in mint condition and for the money it is a fantastic guitar.........

Limited Edition "1959" Les Paul Standard

http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=318&CollectionID=19

N_1622a.jpg

At that price this guitar was great value for money....an Epiphone and the finished item no modding required........ [thumbup]

Body Material Mahogany

Top Material Carved Hard Maple Cap with AAA Flame Maple Veneer

Neck Material Mahogany

Neck Shape 1950's Rounded "D" profile

Neck Joint "Deep-Set" Glued-In

Truss Rod Adjustable

Scale Length 24.75"

Fingerboard Rosewood with pearloid "Trapezoid" inlays

Neck Pickup Gibson USA Burstbucker 2

Bridge Pickup Gibson USA Burstbucker 3

Controls Bridge Volume, Neck Volume, Bridge Tone w/Mallory-150 capacitors, Neck Tone w/Mallory-150 capacitors, Switchcraft 3-way toggle

Binding Body and Fingerboard

Fingerboard Radius 14"

Frets 22; medium-jumbo

Bridge LockTone tune-o-matic/stopbar

Nut Width 1-11/16"

Hardware Nickel

Machine Heads Vintage Style, 14:1 ratio with "tulip" buttons

Colors Faded Cherryburst (FC), Faded Iced Tea (FT)

Includes Hard Case, Certificate of Authenticity

Warranty Epiphone Limited Lifetime

Archived