Gibson Brands Forums

Steve Earle/Kris Kristofferson.....

Gilliangirl

2nd time I've seen this show. Great singer/songwriters on stage by themselves with just a Guitar. Of course Kristofferson was playing his signature Gibson. It seemed he played most of his songs in the key of A. Steve Earle did an excellent job covering Townes songs. Both of these guys have traveled a hard road to get where they are today.

Earle ranks right up there with Lucinda Williams and Tom Russell as one of the best songrwiters to come along in alot of decades.

Kristofferson was always an enigma. His songs ranged from pure genius to the totally forgettable. It was like he used up most of his good stuff on his first two LPs and then went blank. His Cisco Pike flick remains just a fun movie.

So sad I missed this!! I gotta check and see if/when they're re-playing it!!!

Kris was an early hero of mine. He DOES have a few throw-aways but I'll give him that with no problem. His good ones are GREAT!

Saw him WAY back when at a free show he did in Pennypack Park in Philly with Rita Coolidge. Unfortunately most of my brain cells from that era have been scrambled but I DO recall being there!! [-X

Saw Steve on The Mountain tour here in nashville. Del and the boys had already split from him due to Earle's political/religious philosophies. Steve was none too happy with Del for leaving the tour, and he made sure to let the Nashville audience know. What a show that was!

So sad I missed this!! I gotta check and see if/when they're re-playing it!!!

Kris was an early hero of mine. He DOES have a few throw-aways but I'll give him that with no problem. His good ones are GREAT!

Saw him WAY back when at a free show he did in Pennypack Park in Philly with Rita Coolidge. Unfortunately most of my brain cells from that era have been scrambled but I DO recall being there!! [-X

Struma, I don't know if this will work but this should be a link to watch the whole episode online!

http://video.pbs.org/video/1397462226

Lord that was great.

While Kris was good and fine, Steve Earle was AWESOME!

Townes Van Zandt was a MAJOR influence and hero of mine back when dirt was new!!!! He got me hooked on all the other "Texas" writers. That was the best use of time I've had in a while!!!

I wish I could share the enthusiasm for Steve, but I've never been able to. I like a small number of his songs quite a bit (maybe 3-4), but I find most of it utterly unbearable, he just murders and mutilates his Townes Van Zandt's covers, and I find the whole concept of that adulation album kind of creepy. But I love Townes and many other Texas songwriters. Oh well-dont take it personally, just aint my cup of tea. Probably shouldn'ta said nothing. :unsure:

OTH, I like what little I've seen of Justin, I think he is the talented one in the family.

I can understand that completely even if I'm of a different lean. Never liked note for note, same ol' same ol' covers of anybody. To do Townes songs in his own "voice" is exactly what I like about it. I think it gets across more of what a Townes Van Zandt song is...kind of organic and playable by folks. If that makes any sense, which it may not. I often slip into senseless babbling. [confused]

I can understand that completely even if I'm of a different lean. Never liked note for note, same ol' same ol' covers of anybody. To do Townes songs in his own "voice" is exactly what I like about it. I think it gets across more of what a Townes Van Zandt song is...kind of organic and playable by folks. If that makes any sense, which it may not. I often slip into senseless babbling. [confused]

I think certain people can cover anything in their own way and make it good. Johnny Cash, for example. Then there are artists who just can't be covered well, like, well, Johnny Cash for example. Just try to do something as well or better than he did. And Towne's Van Zandt is the same thing. There's no way you can make one of his songs sound lonelier and sadder than he did. The only person who might have been able to, didnt- you guessed it...Johnny Cash.

Then there's Bob Dylan, lots of people can cover him and sound OK.

I think certain people can cover anything in their own way and make it good. Johnny Cash, for example. Then there are artists who just can't be covered well, like, well, Johnny Cash for example. Just try to do something as well or better than he did. And Towne's Van Zandt is the same thing. There's no way you can make one of his songs sound lonelier and sadder than he did. The only person who might have been able to, didnt- you guessed it...Johnny Cash.

Then there's Bob Dylan, lots of people can cover him and sound OK.

Archived