Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
classiclp

trying to authenticate les paul

hey all i have a les paul 1960 classic and im just trying to authenticate the serial number. Its strange to me because it only has 6 digits. They are 060907. Would greatly appreciate if someone could verify that this is a real les paul and what the serial numbers breakdown as

OK from Serial Number here. A picture of the back of the headstock would be good too.

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Support/SerialNumberSearch/

Les Paul Classic: This model features an ink stamped serial number with no "MADE IN USA" (just as we used on the original 1952-1960 Les Pauls). Most will be 5 to 6 digits in length, but the earliest examples feature 4 digit serial numbers. There should be a space after the 1st digit with the 4 and 5 digit serial numbers, and no space with the 6 digit numbers.

The 1st digit indicates the year of manufacture for the 4 & 5 digit serial numbers, these were used from 1989-1999. The 1st and 2nd indicate the year of manufacture for the 6 digit serial numbers which we've been using since 2000.

Examples -

9 xxx = 1989 (4 digit number beginning with "9" used only in 1989)

0 xxxx = 1990

9 xxxx = 1999

00xxxx = 2000

05xxxx = 2005

Those beginning with "94":

In 1994, Gibson's Centennial year, many instruments have a serial number that begins with "94" for the year, with the remaining 6 digits indicating the ranking number.

shot of the back of the headstock and it can be confirmed due to the vintage serial number.

BTW Gibson require this too

Thank you so much everyone for the info. The serial number is indeed the ink stamped as described. I just wanted to be sure since i am selling it. I am the second owner so i wasnt sure about it