Gibson Brands Forums

Covers that are better than the original version

daveinspain

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ikxLNaAYu5k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Tf9lhev1qwA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

sorry that was wrong, man i haven't learned how to get that player in the post [confused]

[scared]

[confused] [confused] [confused]

You're funny. Almost had me believing that you're serious.

:-k ... I do crack a lot of jokes, but that wasn't one of them.

There's something about the background vocals on the original that I just don't care for.

Now that one seems like a joke.

...Nah, I know better than that.

I have been pondering what artist did the best cover and it made me think back over my 60 years and remember all the great artist that have done covers. Think about it, Elvis, Sinatra, Martin, Torme and Andy Williams would all be on that list as would Nat King Cole. They all did songs that had been previously been recorded, Feliciano and has mentioned is another great artist who did great covers...But one name stuck out in my mind because when he did a cover, no matter how big the hit had been, he made it his own. He is so closely associated with so many songs that most of us take it for granted they were his songs.....anyone want to guess who I am thinking of?

I have been pondering what artist did the best cover and it made me think back over my 60 years and remember all the great artist that have done covers. Think about it, Elvis, Sinatra, Martin, Torme and Andy Williams would all be on that list as would Nat King Cole. They all did songs that had been previously been recorded, Feliciano and has mentioned is another great artist who did great covers...But one name stuck out in my mind because when he did a cover, no matter how big the hit had been, he made it his own. He is so closely associated with so many songs that most of us take it for granted they were his songs.....anyone want to guess who I am thinking of?

My guess would be Elvis.

My guess would be Elvis.

That is not who I have in mind...Ray Charles! All of his hits were covers..Georgia was a old Hoagy Carmichael song, Hit the Road Jack was a Pearcy Mayfield hit, I Can't Stop Loving You was a Hank Williams song, I think one of the few songs Charles wrote was "What I Say".. In biographical movie "Ray" (which is one of my favorite movies) it brings up how when he started out he struggled to find his on "sound" because he was so good at copying Nat King Cole..

Of course the other guy who could do a cover and forever be associated with his version was Johnny Cash...

I am going to be the wet blanket here and say that I cannot think of any cover better than the original. There are some I would put on par with the originals and I dig a reinterpretation of an original (The Cardigans doing Sabbath Bloody Sabbath? Ace!), but most covers are so/so at best.

Pearl Jams Cover of Baba O'reilly

Pearl Jams Cover of Love Reign o'vr me

While I'll concede the Love Reign O'er Me is on par with the original there is just no beating the original Baba O'Riley IMHO.

But hey, you've got your opinion and I've got mine. [smile]

Hey, thanks for the Big Joe Williams piece. I got to see him at a college folk festival back in '64.

As for Ray Charles, etc...

Really, I think there should be some other term used more nowadays than "cover" in the sense that a cover is doing the song as closely as possible to the original whereas a "version" is one making a tune and lyric one's own.

Heavens, back in the swing era that was part of the game. One band would have a hit and virtually every other band would reorchestrate it and do their own.

m

Cash, of course.

Archived