Gibson Brands Forums

Covers that are better than the original version

daveinspain

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see a few people say that the original version of babe I'm gonna leave you by Joan Baez is way better than the Zeppelin version... [blink] I just don't see it or rather hear it. I have lots of respect for Joan but her high shrill voice makes me wince on that tune. The Zeppelin version has an incredible arrangement and is much more dynamic and soulful... Just sayin'...

Guest farnsbarns

Chris Cornell doing Billie Jean - Take a MJ pop song and turns it into art.

Wow. Just wow. Wow is all I can say.

Guest farnsbarns

Can you call Hendrix' watchtower a cover? I believe Dylan wrote it for him and Hendrix' version was first.

Dylan wrote for others too, usually stuff he wrote for someone else is accredited to Robert Zimmerman. (his real name)

Dave I.S.

I think for me a lot has to do with the fact that when I started playing guitar I already had been pretty indoctrinated into the folkie thing of the era, so the Baez thing just seemed right. I'll add that it was not my favorite Baez tune from that time. I also preferred when she was in a bit lower register and the voice gained a lot more depth.

Sometimes I've wondered about Baez as to why she didn't do more jazz type and Latin type stuff earlier instead of being perceived as so political. Very good and very controlled voice...

m

Das...

On thing about the Feliciano "version" is that it's actually "versions" given that he seems to do it differently in a number of the Youtube live concert bits - so I've gotta figure that he got more than a little off on flights of guitar fancy quite a bit.

He's an example to me of an artist who creates "versions" rather than "covers" of a lotta stuff. You can like his Latin-influenced versions or not, but the fact is that he makes the songs pretty much his own.

m

Das...

On thing about the Feliciano "version" is that it's actually "versions" given that he seems to do it differently in a number of the Youtube live concert bits - so I've gotta figure that he got more than a little off on flights of guitar fancy quite a bit.

He's an example to me of an artist who creates "versions" rather than "covers" of a lotta stuff. You can like his Latin-influenced versions or not, but the fact is that he makes the songs pretty much his own.

m

I have noticed the same thing, well said as always Milod.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived