Gibson Brands Forums

What is the best guitar solo with wah?

Kimbabig

So if a song has a wah in it you don't like it?

No, not really, I wouldn't say that. TOBU, White Room, that stuff is all great guitar playing. Wahs in general, in my opinion only, are over used as much as the bar on the bridge was back then. Don't matter how good they make them, how schweet the schweep is, what transistors they use, still sound exactly as annoying as they did then.

rct

Don't forget the Bolero of our time, Shaft.

There IS good wah stuff, that's it in a nutshell, it's all been done already. Hell, it was done thirty years ago to my ears. No need for me to stink the joint up with one.

So I would be pretty hard pressed to count down low enough in guitar solos to find one using wah. Prolly something from the Dominos live stuff, he (annoyingly) over used one for some of them shows.

rct

:rolleyes:

I totally concur!

That was the first song I thought of, and was quite surprised to see someone thought the same thing. [thumbup]

It's not the most technical of solos but it hits you like a train when it starts. It also shows excellent variation in the amount of wah in the appropriate sections of the solo. Lastly, the decision to use wah (which Ace is not often associated with) suits the song perfectly. It's like he keeps the wah pedal up his sleeve as a secret weapon and then, when he decides it's needed, he smacks you squarely across the face with it. A stroke of genius, IMO.

There you go, I did eventually discuss it! :rolleyes:[rolleyes]

Alan

Hmmmm...I can think of plenty. Anthem by Rush, Stand Up by Gary Moore ( listen to the Monsters of Rock 2003 version---utterly amazing. Big influence on my playing. ), Dazed and Confused by Zep ( shows that a cocked wah is useful in ANY situation ), Even Flow by Pearl Jam, Bridge to Better Days by Mr. Bonamassa ( he dosent use it in the live versions, nor does he let loose. studio version wins. ). Mattiais Jabs of Scorpions is known to use a half cocked wah on tunes like No One Like You and Rock You Like A Hurricane. Michael Schenker is the king of fixed wah thou. Voodoo Chile wins.

:rolleyes:

It's not the most technical of solos but it hits you like a train when it starts. It also shows excellent variation in the amount of wah in the appropriate sections of the solo. Lastly, the decision to use wah (which Ace is not often associated with) suits the song perfectly. It's like he keeps the wah pedal up his sleeve as a secret weapon and then, when he decides it's needed, he smacks you squarely across the face with it. A stroke of genius, IMO.

There you go, I did eventually discuss it! :rolleyes:[rolleyes]

Alan

Not to mention his awesome use of flange!!!! Goes perfectly with that song (and the title, for that matter). I can get that flange tone with my Ibanez Airplane Flanger. I wonder if Ace used an A/DA Flanger, cause' thats what it sounds like. Certainly aint an MXR!

Not to mention his awesome use of flange!!!! Goes perfectly with that song (and the title, for that matter). I can get that flange tone with my Ibanez Airplane Flanger. I wonder if Ace used an A/DA Flanger, cause' thats what it sounds like. Certainly aint an MXR!

...with just a touch of wah thrown in with the jet flanger on that intro riff and the verse riffs. That addition of wah turns the jet flanger in to a space rocket flanger! I also love how he plays that ascending scale sequence on the intro riff to give a 'lift off' effect.

Archived