Gibson Brands Forums

Weddings

neilpanda

I just got asked by a cousin of mine if I would play at his wedding in August.

Seeing as I would probably get bored at the wedding, I said sure. There will

be one other guitarist playing with me, I need suggestions for duets to play.

geez I havent played a wedding in 2 years, I guess I do have short term memory loss like my friends say [flapper]

so...suggest away! [biggrin]

upbeat stuff.

Learn some stupid overplayed pop song, come up with a cool arrangement, and people will eat it up like no other. I swear to you, especially at something like a wedding

Sounds like something you do when you're bored lol

upbeat stuff.

Learn some stupid overplayed pop song, come up with a cool arrangement, and people will eat it up like no other. I swear to you, especially at something like a wedding

ugh. never. not ever, will I allow a pop song to be played on one of my guitars. never. [-X

ugh. never. not ever, will I allow a pop song to be played on one of my guitars. never. [-X

Just have fun with it man.

I played Miley Cyrus at a show at my high school. It allowed us to play some ZZ Top and other stuff without getting boo'ed off/

Just sayin

Great song for the Daddy of the Bride/Bride solo dance: "I Loved Her First." by Heartland. I assume either you or your partner will be doing vocals.

Business side:

Is this to be a paid gig or a gift gig?

If a paid gig, standard contract. How much?, ALL UP FRONT, cancellation refund policy... etc. Make sure your playing partner is okay with the arrangements.

Family is family, but business is business. Messing up the business end can and has and will drive families apart.

Have fun.

Business side:

Is this to be a paid gig or a gift gig?

If a paid gig, standard contract. How much?, ALL UP FRONT, cancellation refund policy... etc. Make sure your playing partner is okay with the arrangements.

Family is family, but business is business. Messing up the business end can and has and will drive families apart.

Have fun.

It may or may not be, if it is, I'll be nicer about it. he's family and he's done so much for me in the last few years.

Then maybe playing a wedding isn't a good idea. It's about the wedding, more than your taste in music. I assume you are talking about the reception, not the ceremony? Either way, people won't want to listen to "challenging" songs or arrangements. They want simple, good, recognizable songs they can all enjoy.

Just my .02

Yeah, no offense but it's not about you or your tastes dude, especially if you're considering this as their wedding present.

There are a billion songs you can play at weddings and some great set lists you can find on google, but the important thing is to find out what they like.

For my wedding my future Mrs wants me to work out songs for a DJ that we like, not just some generic pop list; but a good combination of blues, rock and pop that represents us and that everyone can dance to.

I will suggest "Wild Horses" by the Stones though, because that's one we definietly want at our Wedding.

First we need some clarification. Are you playing at the wedding or the reception. Clearly 2 different assignments that would require different styles.

Im definitely playing the wedding, not sure about the reception, Im going to have to ask about that, most likely not,

but there is a chance. :-k

Yeah, my assumption was the wedding itself - usually one or two pieces - as opposed to the reception bash, which is why my suggestions were what they were.

If afterwards... Hmmm. Blues? "Rock me Baby... all night long..."

m

Then maybe playing a wedding isn't a good idea. It's about the wedding, more than your taste in music. I assume you are talking about the reception, not the ceremony? Either way, people won't want to listen to "challenging" songs or arrangements. They want simple, good, recognizable songs they can all enjoy.

Just my .02

I actually am talking about the ceremony, but my partner has music for the congregation so I dont have the choice.

But the reception is more flexible. I was joking about the not playing pop music, its just that my vocal range isnt

fitted for pop music.

I was thinking maybe like some of these:

-Hallelujah - Cohen/Buckley

-The Way You Make Me Feel - Bryan Adams

-Here Comes The Sun - Beatles

stuff like that, not the most recognizable, but more meaningful. I have yet to speak with my partner

about more upbeat songs as Id like her to have say in the set list. [biggrin]

I've played both and receptions are all about the party of course but you better take a crash course in the tarantella and the chicken dance.

I was asked to play a wedding 2 years ago and the couple wanted Happy Together by the Turtles played as they came in and out. In the middle of the service I played Clapton's Wonderful Tonight.

The wedding ceremony is a little different. It's a more "serious" gig, for lack of a better word. It will be very quiet and the only sound will be you and whoever might be accompanying you.

When the keyboard player in my old band got married a few years ago, he asked if the singer (female) and I would play a cover of "Longer Than" by Dan Fogelberg during the ceremony. i used an acoustic tuned to Open G and practiced real good. When we finally did it, it was so quiet you could hear evry little sqeak of my fingers on the strings. I was so nervous that I would make a bad mistake and ruin the moment, but we got through it and it turned out very nice.

Look, here we are :rolleyes:

DSCN0078.jpg

Anyway, I tell you that because I usually don't get nervous playing in front of people, but it's a little more pressure to play really well on an occasion like a wedding ceremony. Be prepared.

Archived