Gibson Brands Forums

Help Me Identify This ES335!

RJB

Can anyone tell me what this ES is exactly? The attachments are pics of the guitar including a pic of the inside tag. From the serial number I know its a 2002 model, but I cant make out what the model number says. The handwriting is very sloppy. I just want to know what options if any it has, or if this is just a run of the mill ES. Any help would be appreciated!

post-34784-092175100 1311812747_thumb.jpg

post-34784-056485200 1311812833_thumb.jpg

It looks to me like the label says "ESDT335.

"ES" = Electric Spanish. "D" = Double pickup, "T" = Thinline. Whomever filled out the label could have also put "N" on the end for Natural finish.

In proper 50's/60's nomenclature this guitar is an "ES-335TDN".

Is the figured top or natural finish something you pay extra for?

Generally speaking, Gibson does charge a premium for natural finish guitars. A lot of wood can be hidden by a sunburst or stained finish. Only the finest wood can be used for a natural finish.

The added buy-in cost (new) does not always carry-over to to the market value or resale price of a "pre-owned" guitar. Sale prices of used guitars are determined by "demand", or popularity. In the 335 world, the most popular finishes have always seemed to be sunburst and cherry.

Welcome to the world of Gibson, you picked a fine instrument to dive in with.

Actually the "old" Gibson nomenclature ES335TD would have indicated an ES335 Thinline, Double Pickup.

However, the more recent/current Gibson nomenclature of ESDT335 translates to ES=Electric Spanish, D=Dot Neck, T=Figured Top (as opposed to DP which would be a Dot Neck with Plain Top). I don't know how "T" became the nomenclature for Figured Top. On recent/current production, the model number would include more characters, representing the color code and hardware finish (Ex. ESDTVSNH1 translates to an ES with Dot Neck, Figured Top, Vintage Sunburst color and Nickel Hardware, The "1" is vestigial from when Gibson used to sell first quality "1" and "second quality 2" pieces).

Archived