Gibson Brands Forums

The Bonamassa Buzz

jacknikkels

I bought a Level 1 (used) Bonamassa Studio the other day from MF. I played it acoustically for a couple days then finally plugged it into GarageBand and found it has a distortion/static fuzz either from a pickup or the selector switch, or maybe something else. I lowered the pickups thinking my finger style might be causing the problem but, no, this is a faulty switch or pickup. As is, the guitar is unplayable amplified. Rather than fool around with shlepping the guitar to my luther for diagnosis and paying $100 to have it fixed I'll probably send it back to MF and forget about a replacement. Any others out there with JB static problems?

I first tried it using a Vox headphone amp. I thought the distortion was from the amp in that case. Then I tried it through MXL iBooster into the Mac and GarageBand and got distortion/fuzz/static from neck and mid/neck positions. So, that would be two different input cables. I'll try it through one of my regular amps this morning but I shouldn't get this buzz on the other devices. I haven't had the problem using the same cable into two different Strats and a hybrid Lead I. I think she's going back, though. Nice guitar but not worth extra time, trouble and money to fix a problem that shouldn't exist.

Archived