Gibson Brands Forums

Anti-Chambering Post

guitarhead

The post will stay Kineman, I wonder how a frail Jimmy Page used to slug his boat anchor LP on his shoulder all night performing,

Speaking from past experience- it's much easier to do that with massive amounts of drugs/alcohol! Matter of fact, if you are hammered enough, you don't even think about the weight! [thumbup]

Hello Les Paul nuts,

My experience with 3 different chambered Les Paul's, which made me an anti-chambering guitarist, is the following:

In my modest experience the sound that came out of these guitars, especially when playing the lower E and A strings is very concave, void, cold and airy, not at all what you want and expect from a Les Paul that is famous of it's thick, saturated, beefy, chunky fat sound. Let me know if you have the same experience or else.

Interesting............I prefer my Les Pauls unchambered......However, I own at least four solid Les Pauls and four chambered Les Pauls ( I don't keep track of how many I own )....

I have one of each which I prefer......My favorite chambered Les Paul I use a lot for recording....But my main Les Paul is solid..........

A chambered S.G. would not do though............[flapper] :unsure: [crying][scared][lol] .......

Yes there is a choice.

Just as there is a choice of neck profiles and choice of pickups between some LP models.

I believe a guitar finds a player, not the other way around. Currently, I own one that I am not destined to keep. My others have found their player.

Enjoy it or sell it, in other words.

If I may interject with a considered and somewhat parallel opinion

The presence or absence of air inside an electric guitar is one of life's fascinations

Beginning with the comparison between the Tele/Esquire and already established Gibson etc archtops way back when

For me the ES 137 Classic is one 'perfect' solution to the 'air' question, with a whiff of LP thrown in to the mix

After all...the LP was shaped by tracing around an archtop from the outset....

V

:-({|=

Perhaps the question that has been neglected is..........Which season that the chambered guitar is made........

The "air" trapped in a chambered L.P. built in the summer is going to sound much different than the "air" trapped

in a Les Paul built in winter........This is all well documented......Just sayin'......[flapper][crying] :unsure: [scared][flapper] ..........

I dont have a Chambered Les Paul but I do have a little bit of info to contribute if it matters at all, my Explorer is the standard 76 reissue nothing fancy and it sounds great as a solid body, then I saw the Holy Explorer and was like whoa thats gotta sound like poo. Sure enough it didnt sound quiet the same I dont know the proper terminology for it; however it sounded more errr "Airy" if that makes sense it didnt have as much snarl and sustain as my solid one did but it sounded five times better then I figured it would. I dont really have a preference to chambered or non-chambered; however I would like to see it available as a purchase option just like your finish, I mean it takes more time to make a chambered guitar then a solid so its not like it would cost more to produce and its apparent that some people REALLY like there boat anchors!

• 1 month later...

Hey 94Sglife,

This is a great topic! I have enjoyed reading everyones comments and feel it is perfect for this forum so thanks for posting it. [thumbup]

I have a chambered LP and unfortunately have never played a solid but what I can say is that I really love the tone of my LP. I obviously had a choice when I bought it but I just loved the tone and feel. I guess my guitar just found me. [rolleyes]

My LP has this sort of vintage tone but with a modern twist that is characterized by dark undertones. Also, I am always blown away by the sound it produces when playing distorted!!

I think it's a tough market out there and I am sure Gibson introduced chambering in some of their line for more than once reason, but one (IMO) was to "evolve/modernize" certain pieces for competitiveness.

Either way, I am in love baby!! [lol]

• 1 month later...

I have a 2009 les paul standard chambered an a 2010 traditional plus. I love both guitars. I don't like the burstbucker pro in the neck on the chambered model as much as the 57 classic on the traditional. But the bridge burstbucker on the chambered LP beats the pants off of the 57 plus on the traditional. I guess what im trying to say is that both guitars are cool in their own way but if I had to choose only one I would proably go with the traditional

If it comes down to it, all Les Paul have chambers- the one for the pickups, the tone and volume controls, and the selector switches. I have the Gary Moore BFG (which has chambers, and I love the tones, and the fact I can hear it better unplugged is great! You don't have to buy one, we all have choices.

I own two les pauls... one 1999 les paul custom that I assume is weight relieved and weighs 9.5 lbs... and one 1980 les paul deluxe that weighs about 10.5 lbs....

Call me wierd but I actually prefer the heavier (9+lbs) les pauls... I like the way they feel straped on my back...

I would have to say the weight relieved lp custom has a better tone than the heavier deluxe... but the deluxe is awesome also...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived