Gibson Brands Forums

sg scratchplate

adelaide aus

Hello All,

Newbie here, Can anyone tell me if there is a way of getting scratches out of the pickguard on an SG? On Les Paul's it's easy, two screws and replace it. On SG's it's not quite so easy.

I think the only way to get rid of the scratches is to replace the pickguard....I don't think you can polish your pickguard. But isn't the whole point of a pickguard to protect the guitar from scratches... [razz]

I wouldn't worry too much about it if i were you, i have/had the same problem, wanting to keep my guitars in 'perfect' state. But i just realised something, if i can expres my ideas/music with my guitar, i shouldn't be bothered with trivial stuff like scratches on a guitar [thumbup]

Cheers,

:D/

If you decide to replace the pickguard........check out www.pickguardian.com.

pickguardian is better for custom pickguards, I know the guy he lives right here in town and frequents the 'Fifth Avenue Fret Shop' here in columbus ohio. but if you want a sg pickguard for great price and fits perfectly, because I went through it already,,, perfect_pitch_music on eBay, I found a SG special 5-ply for 31.99 free shipping. Perfect fit.. I mean perfect.

pickguardian is better for custom pickguards, I know the guy he lives right here in town and frequents the 'Fifth Avenue Fret Shop' here in columbus ohio. but if you want a sg pickguard for great price and fits perfectly, because I went through it already,,, perfect_pitch_music on eBay, I found a SG special 5-ply for 31.99 free shipping. Perfect fit.. I mean perfect.

i checked out pickguardian but they require you to send in the guard, unlike everyone else. i did not bother inquiring on pricing. one the plus side, he has a 2-day turnaround vs. 2-3 weeks elsewhere. imo it's risky having my 30-yr old pickguard go thru shipping *twice*. i've sent/received 500+ packages and 1% have gotten lost or stolen so i won't take chances with something very difficult to replace.

perfect_pitch_music are quality.

...Was hoping to be able to do something with it while it was still on the guitar. the guitar is perfect and don't want to mess with it by pulling it apart.

not a good idea, you will likely fcuk up the finish. best to take it off and do it safely away from the guitar. you'll also be better off learning the basics of disassembly because you might do your own maintenance and customizing someday.

Archived