Gibson Brands Forums

J-45 revived!

j45nick

This may sound like a bit of a tease, but Ross Teigen has finished the "million mile tunep" on my 1948 J-45, including re-creation of the original 'burst from old photos. You may recall--it's a long story--that this guitar has gone from original burst (1948) to cherry burst (new top by Gibson 1968) to natural (by me, 1971), and now back to the original burst. He sent me a couple of photos that aren't really good enough to post, but the results look spectacular. It's a long list of repairs that I will eventually post here.

Unfortunately, I'm working in Europe for the next 2 1/2 weeks, so I won't get it until about August 18. I'll post photos when I finally lay hands on it.

For once, I can't come up with an analogy to convey my sense of anticipation. To say I'm excited would be a bit of an understatement!

Can't wait to see the final results. Please be sure to post some before pics as well. I'm getting ready to drive down there with a couple of mine I want tuned up. I knew Ross was talented when I recommended him but I didn't know he did refinishing work. I imagine it will be a rather long couple of weeks for you...

I am anxious to see the results of all the work.

My old J-200 had gone back to Gibson in the late 1960s for a refinish and have a second pickguard added. Although mine did not get a new top, they did re-finish it in the style of sunburst they were using at the time rather than try to replicate what was on there. Like you, I have been considering having it finished again (and have the second pickguard removed) with a proper burst for its age.

[woot]. . . [love]. . . [woot]

Lordy !

Gorgeous work. The finish, the inlays the headstock.

I'm in love.

Congrats Nick, your man did you A-1 work. [thumbup]

The headstock and board inlays actually date from 1970. The only obvious things here (there is a lot more that isn't obvious) are the new 'burst, the new bridge, and the new pickguard. All are intended to replicate the guitar as I got it in 1966, minus the horrendous wear and tear the guitar had incurred prior to my ownership.

From whence and where did the headstock inlay occur/happen ??

The headstock inlay is an exact copy of a 1930's F-4 mandolin. Originally, the flowerpot was a specific combination of MOP colors, but those have faded to a pretty generic MOP. The "Gibson" MOP inlay is a pre-war script design, and was done in a monochrome MOP. The headstock binding is a layer of ebony sandwiched between two layers of ivory to create a three-layer white-black-white binding. Both the ebony and ivory came from junked piano keys. The headstock was done in 1970.

The board MOP inlays were done at the same time, by the same guy. They were the result of a chemically-enhanced design session. As you can see, one of them never quite got done. Originally, the colors of these were quite spectacular--red and green, almost like fireworks--even without the chemical enhancement.

The tuners are Grover sta-tite from 1970.

Wow...from those pix the guitar looks absolutely gorgeous!!! Neat that you have all that history with it, like an old pal!

Last week I saw a broken up piano on the curb for pick up...an old upright that had been totally busted down. everything but the string board.

I came SO close to getting as many of the keys as I could but there was a homeless guy about 3 feet away passed out on the sidewalk and I didn't feel like stirring a pot of nuttiness up.

Don't know if the white keys were ivory, they were yellowed nicely but I didn't inspect up close. Now I wish i did!!!! That headstock binding is excellent!!!!!

Last week I saw a broken up piano on the curb for pick up...an old upright that had been I came SO close to getting as many of the keys as I could but there was a homeless guy about 3 feet away passed out on the sidewalk and I didn't feel like stirring a pot of nuttiness up.

I can relate to that....About stirring a pot of nuttiness up....Now thats FUNNY! [laugh]

Seems like those situations happen often in my daily work routine.... [cool]

Its sad but true!

I'll be seeing your guitar next Monday 8/8. Looking forward to getting a close up view.

It's not fair! You'll see it before I do. If you're interested in such things, you can also check out my '68 ES 335-12 that Ross did a neck re-set on.

Archived