Gibson Brands Forums

Did I get screweD at guitar center??

moej45

I guess you always get screwed at gc but here is the situation. I went last weekend and bought my j45 with a 10 percent off coupon. The guy rang me up and in my haste I just paid without really paying attention. I looked at the receipt today and it says I paid 2090 for the j45....AND 169.99 for the case. So that brought my total up to like 2280...about 40 shy of the list price. I called today and the guy gave me some line about how the case is built into the price...and that since I got 10 percent off that's only off the instrument. I ended up getting a work call during it so I had to cut the guy off. Any thoughts?

SCREWED

According to both Gibson's website and Guitar Center's website the case comes with the guitar price. <_<

Yeah..now thinking back the sales rep called the manager and then I heard my rep say...."no he's not getting the gc coverage". So I bet he was like....charge him separate for the case. I am going to call another gc and ask if when you buy a j45 the case is billed separately on the receipt. ...I better be getting a credit. That's a joke

I guess you always get screwed at gc but here is the situation. I went last weekend and bought my j45 with a 10 percent off coupon. The guy rang me up and in my haste I just paid without really paying attention. I looked at the receipt today and it says I paid 2090 for the j45....AND 169.99 for the case. So that brought my total up to like 2280...about 40 shy of the list price. I called today and the guy gave me some line about how the case is built into the price...and that since I got 10 percent off that's only off the instrument. I ended up getting a work call during it so I had to cut the guy off. Any thoughts?

1st, my local GC won't take ANY coupons on Gibsons- they say that Gibson has chosen not to participate

2. ON my invoice, they did list the case separatly, but it was included in the showroom price tag.

Makes me wonder if I could have bought my LP w/o a 150 dollar case, and saved the money. I have extra cases.

My thoughts: You plunked down your money before you should have, evidenced by your after-purchase review of what should have been reviewed before.

I suspect we've all done that on some occasion(s), but the lesson here is: don't buy or sign before you are completely satisfied with the deal in all regards.

BTW: I have a subprime mortgage deal I'd like to tell you about......

My thoughts: You plunked down your money before you should have, evidenced by your after-purchase review of what should have been reviewed before.

I suspect we've all done that on some occasion(s), but the lesson here is: don't buy or sign before you are completely satisfied with the deal in all regards.

BTW: I have a subprime mortgage deal I'd like to tell you about......

Ha...I'll keep my fixed rate thanks!!!

That's a common GC tactic. Seen it happen quite a few times. I may use their return policy at that point. This business practice is unethical, IMO.

EVERYBODY assumes a case comes WITH the guitar when you buy a new Gibson, Taylor etc. Did the tag say HSC included?

Either way, I'd make a stink. That is a BS move on their part.

Yes you got screwed. GC will give you a 30 day period to return the Guitar if you are not satisfied. Call E.M. Shorts in Wichita, Kansas and they will quote the lowest price on a J-45 perhaps anywhere. Ask them to email you the quote. Once you receive the quote, ask the GC if they will match the price. They have a low price guarantee so they should. Musician's Friend will also match prices. You can work through their Private Reserve department and they will hand select one. If E.M. Shorts has one in stock, buy it. Heck, I bought my new J-45TV for $1,900 and it came with the Brown Tank case with the Pink lining. NFI with E.M. Shorts. If I got my 45TV for $1,900, you can do much better than $2280 for a standard 45!

Im surprised they didnt sell you a Gig Bag at a Hard case Price..

Anyone that sells a Hard Case seperate from a Gibson, Martin or Higher shouldnt be dealt with...

Not a very good marketing tactic by GC..

we got a few money hungry dealers like that up here.... I wouldnt drop a dime in there stores.

If Im not Mistaken.. GC is one of the Biggest Sellers for Gibson.. and one of the Shrewdess as well..

Yeah, you got screwed on that deal. The case IS part of the deal. I would be extremely angry if GC tried to pull this kind of thing on me. The price includes the case. They know it does, and for some salesdude to charge you for it is pretty low and dirty. I just got my J45 at their 4th of July Sale with a 15% coupon, and the case IS included with the guitar. They owe you some money.

the quote below is directly from the GC website..............."Gibson J-45 Standard Acoustic-Electric Guitar Includes:

Hardshell case"

I've gotten a few gibson's from GC and I used to work there. The case being rung up separate is for inventory reasons. The guitar and case are listed separately in the computer when they come in, so we had to ring up both guitar and case separately so the computer wouldn't show we have a couple random cases in stock that we really don't have. But they're supposed to take the price of the case off the price of the guitar to make it come out even. Thats what I always did with customers and thats what they've always done with me.

Once you receive the quote, ask the GC if they will match the price. They have a low price guarantee so they should. Musician's Friend will also match prices.

Actually, no. The guarantee reads

If at any time within 30 days of your purchase from us, you find the identical item in stock and advertised by any other authorized dealer at a price lower than what you paid, Guitar Center will fully protect you.

No dealer can advertise a price on a J-45 lower than the MAP (= the GC/MF) price without violating their contract with Gibson.

-- Bob R

If you got 40 bucks less than list price, you got screwed. If you only got 10% off list price, you got screwed.

When I worked at GC some 20+ years ago, the standard was case is always separate, and guitars were 40% off retail. Sinse, whenever buying (from ANY store) that policy has always served me well. While not EVERY store I have gone to has done that, It is has always been my starting point and the vast majority of the new guitars I have bought have been that price or close to it.

With the newer terms "street price" and the thing called "minimum advertising price" it gets more confusing, because the MAP or street price may not represent the best price, or even the normal price most pay.

When it comes to GC (and all guitar stores) a certain level of professionalism should be expected in that every customer should trust he is getting the same price as the next guy, and that price not being based on the knowledge of the customer.

We have a resident GC guy on the site, MIDIMAN. He may not have the power to alter a deal on another store, but he is a store manager and can definitely advise you on how he runs his store and what you should expect and get from a GC.

Take it back and ask for your money back if it's within the 30 day exchange plan... you've had some decent recommendations above, I certain;y wouldn't even want to give GC a chance to make it right. Someone above got a TV model for nigh on 300 less than you paid for a standard, if that is the case you have been royally served-up by GC.

Actually, no. The guarantee reads

No dealer can advertise a price on a J-45 lower than the MAP (= the GC/MF) price without violating their contract with Gibson.

-- Bob R

That's correct - the price was not advertised, it was sent to me via an email quote. The local GC offered to beat the price and Musician's Friend did likewise.

Going back to the OP - paying extra for the case is one thing, paying much more than you should for the 45 is another.

I've personally never had a real problem with GC. Matching/beating prices is something they do routinely. Never been told that Gibson doesn't participate in a sale either. Never had them tell me a case doesn't come with a Gibson, Martin, or Taylor. I know better, you know better, and so do they. They're not perfect and I am pretty picky on what I will buy from them. More so than a few years ago. The game they played with this guitar case is dispicable and they need to be aware of it........ I've dealt with EM Shorts too. Good and honest place from my experience, but like any place else, there are some prices they can match, others they can't or won't. I was considering the purchase of a CJ165 with GC's 15% off coupon. Shorts said they could not match that price because it was nearly 45% off of the whatever the MSRP/etc price was. Finding the best price is a hit-and=miss thing. You've got to shop-around and make calls. If a deal sounds too good to be true, then it probably is. If you buy from GC, it helps to know what you want and to realize that many of their guitars (even the sweet Gibsons, Martins, and Taylors) have likely been hanging on the wall for at least a couple months and the shredders and teenyboppers may have beaten the crap out of them. Sad but true. That's not always the case, but it is possible.....One particular fault with GC these days is that so many of their sales people don't know how to wipe their own butts when it comes to knowledge about guitars, etc.........Anyway, I really hope your problem is resolved quickly and in your favor.

I looked at the receipt today and it says I paid 2090 for the j45....AND 169.99 for the case. So that brought my total up to like 2280...about 40 shy of the list price. I called today and the guy gave me some line about how the case is built into the price...and that since I got 10 percent off that's only off the instrument.

Gibson dot com shows the list price of the j-45 Standard as $3072. So you got a decent discount...perhaps you could have done a bit better but you were shopping at GC. I guess you can return it and see if you can do better somewhere else...or keep it and play it.

That's correct - the price was not advertised, it was sent to me via an email quote. The local GC offered to beat the price and Musician's Friend did likewise.

My point was just that they're not obligated to beat quoted prices by the price match guarantee, only advertised prices. No reason GC/MF can't beat the occasional quote from Shorts if they feel like it, although they can't give that kind of price to everyone and stay in business.

-- Bob R

Archived