Gibson Brands Forums

Did I get screweD at guitar center??

moej45

I bought a SJ200 in 2001. When I was about to pay I asked "where is the case"? They told me the case was extra 150. I told the guy "no case, no deal" I got the case, but have not bought another guitar from guitar center! I also contacted Gibson & they wanted to know which store had done this! Gibson also informed me that they expected their guitars to include the case!

I loved the guitar but was so pissed off, I thought about this every time I played it!

It's easy to say gibson 'expect' the guitar to come with a case, but, they're hardly likely to stop GC or Sam Ash from trading in their model lines, it must account for a great many of their sales, it may also be a huge factor in the many negative accounts we see and digest on this very guitar forum and numerous others.

As a consumer who's in the zone where I know my guitar has been manufactured then handled, rehandled, and stored with overseas shipment agents before sitting in the store till I order it, I know this to be true. I recently bought my Woody Guthrie model from one of Gibsons biggest customers in the EU, it was perfect in every way except the pickup system didn't work. On notifying them I asked if it could be repaired and sent back to me as I liked the model, they sent a UPS van to my door to collect it and dispatched a replacement right away. The replacement was fine, with a working pickup and in my paws in a matter of days.

Can't fault Gibson or my particular retailer in this case, in a production environment you have the odd issue slip through.

Apparently this is a common occurrence; separate the guitar from the case after receiving it, then sell them separately.

Not sure if this is okay with Gibson, but it is done.

Before the cash register rings, you may be able to negotiate for the case, even with a coupon. After the strap button clears the parking lot, your negotiating position is quite eroded.

Bottom line, caveat emptor, before laying down the plastic, make sure you understand whether the case, strap, picks, tuner, instructional DVD, set-up, etc. is included in that 'special' price.

w00t! Glad you got it sussed out!!!

In a related matter, I used to work for a guitar store that at ONE point was a 5 star dealer. His inability to pay his bills got that taken away as well as his ability to sell Gibson or Epiphone. I worked there because that's where I bought BOTH my Gibbys. The common practice for him was to order a bunch of Fender Squire packs (strap, cord, tuner, amp, guitar and gig bag) and split up the entire pack and sell everything individually. Gig bags, too. He got more for the accessories that came with the guitar than he got for the guitar. I thought it was a pretty crappy way to do business.

Of course, then he didn't pay his Fender bill and can no longer get them, either. Now he sells nothing but absolute garbage to people who don't know any better. His "high end" is Dean acoustics. Which totally suck.

Karma, some call it.

w00t! Glad you got it sussed out!!!

In a related matter, I used to work for a guitar store that at ONE point was a 5 star dealer. His inability to pay his bills got that taken away as well as his ability to sell Gibson or Epiphone. I worked there because that's where I bought BOTH my Gibbys. The common practice for him was to order a bunch of Fender Squire packs (strap, cord, tuner, amp, guitar and gig bag) and split up the entire pack and sell everything individually. Gig bags, too. He got more for the accessories that came with the guitar than he got for the guitar. I thought it was a pretty crappy way to do business.

Of course, then he didn't pay his Fender bill and can no longer get them, either. Now he sells nothing but absolute garbage to people who don't know any better. His "high end" is Dean acoustics. Which totally suck.

Karma, some call it.

Spoke with the rep today and all is good. They are refunding me the $159.49 I was overcharged

Glad to hear you got satisfaction.

BTW, having the case listed as "included" and then selling/billing it separately might be illegal in some places. Some retailers have run afoul of my state's atty general over games like that under our bait and switch consumer protection laws.

Glad to hear you got satisfaction.

BTW, having the case listed as "included" and then selling/billing it separately might be illegal in some places. Some retailers have run afoul of my state's atty general over games like that under our bait and switch consumer protection laws.

You know, McDonalds has been doing something along those lines. They sell any size pop for $1.00. Not a bad deal. But when you buy a 'Value Meal', they ring up the burger, fries and drink on separate lines. The pop shows up as something more than $1.00, like $1.49 [cursing]

They say you get the $1.00 pop only if you order it ala-carte. Then time I noticed it, I just took my 50¢ lumps and left in a huff. I should sit down some time and tote up the Value Meal items using ala-carte prices to see what if any 'deal' one gets with ordering the 'Value' meal.

Maybe I should get a burger and fries at Burger King, then pop over to the McDonalds for the $1.00 drink, then eat 'in' at the McDonalds. [sneaky]

Yes you got screwed. GC will give you a 30 day period to return the Guitar if you are not satisfied. Call E.M. Shorts in Wichita, Kansas and they will quote the lowest price on a J-45 perhaps anywhere. Ask them to email you the quote. Once you receive the quote, ask the GC if they will match the price. They have a low price guarantee so they should. Musician's Friend will also match prices. You can work through their Private Reserve department and they will hand select one. If E.M. Shorts has one in stock, buy it. Heck, I bought my new J-45TV for $1,900 and it came with the Brown Tank case with the Pink lining. NFI with E.M. Shorts. If I got my 45TV for $1,900, you can do much better than $2280 for a standard 45!

I agree - you definitely got screwed - and I'd return the whole package - not just take the refund on the over-charge - and, as Pickax said, if you want the best price, then E.M. Shorts is the way to go.

Guitar Center owns Music & Arts Center, Musician's Friend, Music123, Lyons Music, GuitarCenter.com, LMI, Giardinelli, Musician.com, Private Reserve Guitars, Woodwind and Brasswind and Harmony Central. They play shell games all day long...

Bottom line, caveat emptor, before laying down the plastic, make sure you understand whether the case, strap, picks, tuner, instructional DVD, set-up, etc. is included in that 'special' price.

This is true, but it is a sad statement that we, as consumers, must be careful to watch that we get what the manufacturer says we are supposed to get when we buy their product (not the manufacturer's fault).

Guitar Center owns Music & Arts Center, Musician's Friend, Music123, Lyons Music, GuitarCenter.com, LMI, Giardinelli, Musician.com, Private Reserve Guitars, Woodwind and Brasswind and Harmony Central. They play shell games all day long...

You make GC out to be this huge corporation on their own, but remember they have bosses too. GC's owned by Bain Capital, who also own places such as Burger King, Staples, Toys R' Us, and the Weather Channel. Just food for thought.

Archived