Gibson Brands Forums

do i go for 57 vos or 58 vos les paul

58gibsonjohn

Hi all.

I currently own a Gibson les paul standard 08 in goldtop. I love the goldtop...but having recently visited a local music shop with all the custom shop gibsons in. I tried a vos les paul, well both the 57 vos and the 58 vos.

I dunno which one to go for??? I mainly play rock, blues, indie, britpop. Some give me some info on both of these guitars and what experiences they have had playing these guitars.

Thank you.

John

Hi all.

I currently own a Gibson les paul standard 08 in goldtop. I love the goldtop...but having recently visited a local music shop with all the custom shop gibsons in. I tried a vos les paul, well both the 57 vos and the 58 vos.

I dunno which one to go for??? I mainly play rock, blues, indie, britpop. Some give me some info on both of these guitars and what experiences they have had playing these guitars.

Thank you.

John

As R9 stated they will be almost the same guitar except the top color. The necks on the 57 and 58 are the same profile with the exception that each guitar is slightly different. Find the one that "speaks" to you, fits your hands, make you want to talk it home. The difference in tone will be the difference in the woods and the set up of the guitar. If you already have a goldtop you like, then maybe something different is the way to go.

• 4 weeks later...

As R9 stated they will be almost the same guitar except the top color. The necks on the 57 and 58 are the same profile with the exception that each guitar is slightly different. Find the one that "speaks" to you, fits your hands, make you want to talk it home. The difference in tone will be the difference in the woods and the set up of the guitar. If you already have a goldtop you like, then maybe something different is the way to go.

Fact- Goldtops just sound better....they do ;) I have 2 I should know lololol...pick them up, play em, and get the one that feels and sounds better...in the long run that will bring u the enjoyment you want

• 3 weeks later...

I've only been able to get my hands on one 57 and the neck was a "handfull" and FAT. If you don't mind the thought of having a chunky neck I'd say go ahead and go for a 57 goldtop. If it were me generally I'd be most comfortable with a 58 as they seem to be a mediumish sized neck. Keep in mind that since Gibsons necks are hand sanded you will find that there may be smaller versions or larger versions of a neck profile though. This is one of the reasons people refuse to buy sight unseen. If you are able to buy locally I would definately encourage that (unless you have a shortage of dealers like I did). Otherwise hookup with Brett from Eddie's Guitars or someone from Wildwood Guitars and they will do their best to find the right historic for you.

Goldtop is my favourite. So they're really no differ in sound dont you think??

Like all guitars their sound will differ from guitar to guitar just because wood differs (more resonant, less resonant, overall different tonal characteristics, etc). Particular models don't guarantee you better tone. Yet another reason why people don't like buying sight unseen.... Some guitars sing and some don't...

I've got a 57' custom shop ''goldtop- darkback'',never seen,heard,or played a finer guitar...........can get any sound i want out of it,...always looking to add to my collection,but i can't imagine anything topping this one,.......just my opinion of course,...

i know a lot of fender diehards who don't care for the sound.

Archived